Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D Model X now or wait 2 + years for Tesla Truck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bit late to the party, but your question about X or Pickup Truck is interesting to me. My wife and I probably want a pickup truck more than the X, but we'd have been waiting for more like 4 or 10 years by the time the truck arrives (we had a 4 year wait for Model X to shift from when we first put a deposit on it).

In practice, we found an old truck bed trailer on Craigslist for $300 or so, and we use that to turn our Model X into a faux pickup truck. The trailer was used to haul gravel (beefy suspension), so a couple of yards of wood chips is nothing. We don't hook the trailer up and use it as often as we'd use a pickup truck bed, but we can haul big and dirty stuff when needed, and isn't what a pickup truck bed is for anyway?

The practice result is the trailer does everything we need and want, and the expense is about 1/2 of the energy efficiency when we're pulling it with a load (so 230 miles of charged up range is good for pulling the trailer for about 115 miles). That's plenty of range for what we're using it for - it'd be kind of thin for towing a trailer and going camping.

So that's been my solution - get the X now, along with a cheap used utility trailer, and pretend the trailer is a pickup truck :)

I bought the model S over 2 years ago (model 3 was on a waiting list at the time). So glad I didn't wait -- it's the best car I've ever had. Just buy whatever you want at the time and in a few years you can sell it and get the next best thing. I've got my eye on the pickup, especially now that I moved from California to Texas..

Reactions: jimbo69ny
I bought the model S over 2 years ago (model 3 was on a waiting list at the time). So glad I didn't wait -- it's the best car I've ever had. Just buy whatever you want at the time and in a few years you can sell it and get the next best thing. I've got my eye on the pickup, especially now that I moved from California to Texas..

And in some states the incentives lessen the burden of depreciation (especially when the tax credit was $7500).