Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100k Tesla Roof Proposal was 34K On-Line, Older Home Tax :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really wanted to do this but... :(

Got the Tesla Roof Proposal today and it’s a bit more than the maxed out $34k on-line guesstimate for my home.

A big chunk is that they upped it to two Powerwalls and put solar on the garage to up the total production. But wait there is more.

Asbestos Removal $12,100.00 (Two heat pipes for the water heater and stove.)

Deck Replacement $3,200.00 (Thought the 1x6 wood planks would have been a plus but they said it's too uneven. I guess but I'd worry about saggy plywood as well.

Lead Paint Remediation $7,500.00? (I have to get it done on me own.)

That is like $20k before they even put the solar roof on. I don't totally fault them but they really could have told me this when they did the 4+ hour site survey almost 2 months ago.

It's $90,284.38 before the $5-$15K Lead Paint Remediation.

Please check my math but it looks like (if every little thing goes to plan) it would be 43 years to break even. That is using full 10,874kWh posable production every year. If I used as much as last year every year it would take 66.4 years! Just in my head on the phone with them I said I’d be dead long before that. I may have gone for it without the Powerwalls and the $20k in roof prep. Even then it's 26 years to break even. If I just did solar cells on the house I don't think I'd make enough. :( Poop!

SR-Excel.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Yinn and IdaX
Sounds like a non-starter but just to play devil's advocate how much of this would need to be done during the next standard roof replacement, how close to that are you and how long would you expect it to last?

If you need a roof soon and that will trigger some of these projects anyway then you need to figure on that.

I have $40k in an aluminum roof that is 5 years old should be done forever, was twice as much as nice shingles but I know I am not doing it again in 20years unless it is storm damage that played into my decision.

Reactions: nwdiver
Sounds like a non-starter but just to play devil's advocate how much of this would need to be done during the next standard roof replacement, how close to that are you and how long would you expect it to last?

If you need a roof soon and that will trigger some of these projects anyway then you need to figure on that.

I have $40k in an aluminum roof that is 5 years old should be done forever, was twice as much as nice shingles but I know I am not doing it again in 20years unless it is storm damage that played into my decision.

The roof I have now does need to be replaced but I already got a quote for it a few months back for about $6k for architectural asphalt shingles. The roof on it now is about 30 years old and I would hope it would last another 20 to 30 so I'll never have to worry about it again. That's one of the reasons I was so hopeful about getting the solar roof as I could put that theoretical six or seven thousand towards it but even then it's still crazy expensive.

Nobody just replacing the asphalt shingles is going to require the asbestos pipes be removed or the lead paint remediation or swapping out the perfectly fine and even more sturdy you 1x6" I think they're actually 1x12" planks for plywood.

The more I read up on it I think the only reason they want to replace the asbestos pipes is because of the replacement of the deck with plywood. They are probably afraid they're going to move or break them anyway. But most stuff I can find reading up on it says you just leave them alone and they're not going to hurt anything or anyone.

Last edited:
30% no more?
It is going down next year and then away soon after. But I think they put 20% because by the letter of the law you're only supposed to take 30% off what's actually required for the solar and the battery but not a hundred percent of everything purchased for the install. I'm not sure but if you go on their website right now and configure a solar roof the credit listed on the site is about 20%.

• Informative
Reactions: Kant.Ing
I really wanted to do this but... :(

Got the Tesla Roof Proposal today and it’s a bit more than the maxed out $34k on-line guesstimate for my home.

Was the $34k for solar or the solar roof? It's gonna be a while before the solar roof makes any economic sense compared to regular shingles with solar racking...

Might be worth getting traditional solar when you get your new roof. Doing them at once can make things a little easier. That's how I got my solar installed in WA.

• Helpful
Reactions: NuShrike
It is going down next year and then away soon after. But I think they put 20% because by the letter of the law you're only supposed to take 30% off what's actually required for the solar and the battery but not a hundred percent of everything purchased for the install. I'm not sure but if you go on their website right now and configure a solar roof the credit listed on the site is about 20%.

Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit | Department of Energy

Where it states below for solar "30% for systems placed in service by 12/31/2019" and "The federal tax code does not explicitly reference energy storage, so stand-alone energy storage systems do not qualify for the tax credit. However, the IRS issued Private Letter Rulings in 2013 and 2018, which address energy storage paired with PV systems. In both cases, the IRS ruled that the energy storage equipment when paired with PV met the statutory definition of a "qualified solar electric property expenditure," as was eligible for the tax credit."

Unless Tesla is thinking about an installation in year 2020 or later, you should get the 30%.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
The more I read up on it I think the only reason they want to replace the asbestos pipes is because of the replacement of the deck with plywood. They are probably afraid they're going to move or break them anyway. But most stuff I can find reading up on it says you just leave them alone and they're not going to hurt anything or anyone.

Would it be possible to get a quote from a separate contractor about the deck? See if they think replacement of the deck requires the asbestos removal.

The roof I have now does need to be replaced but I already got a quote for it a few months back for about $6k for architectural asphalt shingles. The roof on it now is about 30 years old and I would hope it would last another 20 to 30 so I'll never have to worry about it again. That's one of the reasons I was so hopeful about getting the solar roof as I could put that theoretical six or seven thousand towards it but even then it's still crazy expensive.

Nobody just replacing the asphalt shingles is going to require the asbestos pipes be removed or the lead paint remediation or swapping out the perfectly fine and even more sturdy you 1x6" I think they're actually 1x12" planks for plywood.

$6k sounds very cheap, too cheap for a properly done job.
Shingles are not what they once we're, despite warranty claims I would not plan on more than 20years, when they fail early they give you a piddly credit towards buying more of the same.

Shingles are not what they once we're, despite warranty claims I would not plan on more than 20years, when they fail early they give you a piddly credit towards buying more of the same.

I had my house re-roofed for $4k... super happy with the work. Roofer aren't exactly highly paid... the guy I hired probably paid $500 for his 4 man crew + ~$1k for materials. ~$2500 isn't bad for a days work.

That was the better quote I got last year but it is a simple two-sided roof less than a thousand square feet. It should be pretty simple for them to do it for that price. If anything it should be closer to 4K but it's California Bay Area pricing so it's another 50% more plus.

Was the $34k for solar or the solar roof? It's gonna be a while before the solar roof makes any economic sense compared to regular shingles with solar racking...

Might be worth getting traditional solar when you get your new roof. Doing them at once can make things a little easier. That's how I got my solar installed in WA.
Yes the 34k was for solar roof on just the main house. And then there would have been $7, 500-ish tax credit and a new roof is going to cost me another six or seven thousand anyway so I felt like that was just barely doable with a pay back of around 15 years. With the current quotes payback of somewhere between 43 and 67 years it's just not doable unless you've got money to burn and want a cool looking roof. Not having to worry about power outages anymore would be cool too but there's cheaper ways to do that.

That including ripping up the old?

If that small it is even more baffling the Tesla could push the price so high. Maybe after looking at it it was more trouble than they wanted so they inflated the big to try and dissuade you. Businesses do such things all the time, if a project or a customer seems like a hassle bid high so it is definitely worth your while if you get it.

My old house I did do for under $4k a decade ago but it was a crappy old starter home, middle of the road materials.

I don't use a contractor who finds his crew in the Home Depot lot that morning though.

That including ripping up the old?

If that small it is even more baffling the Tesla could push the price so high. Maybe after looking at it it was more trouble than they wanted so they inflated the big to try and dissuade you. Businesses do such things all the time, if a project or a customer seems like a hassle bid high so it is definitely worth your while if you get it.

My old house I did do for under $4k a decade ago but it was a crappy old starter home, middle of the road materials.

I don't use a contractor who finds his crew in the Home Depot lot that morning though.

Yes and includes another $500 for the second layer of shingles.

I don’t think they were trying not to get the work but they don’t need it. They have a year or two backlog. They just move on to the next guy with money to burn and or a newer house without the $20k in roof prep. To their credit they did not tell me all this after starting the project they just don’t what any asbestos or lead exposer. It’s just the cost to have someone certified come remove its nuts. For my house every $1000 is adding almost a year to the payback so $12k to remove two asbestos pipes, one for the water heater and the other not used is unfortunate.

Like I said, I could maybe do just the shingle and not the batteries but not with the $20k in roof prep. I’d want them to look good and be level and all and if you really need a plywood deck for that I’d ok with the $3k for that but that and the lead and asbestos it’s just too much. Even though I could maybe swing it at that point your just paying like a $80k for a cool roof and battery backup for maybe once a year power outage.

I’ve been telling myself two things all morning:

Just do it, you aren’t going to live forever and it would be cool to have the setup.

It’s just too much money you could spend on other things you need for the house or retirement.

:(

• Love
Reactions: Kant.Ing
For comparison. I have a 9.7kw ground mount system in the NE that produces just about the same amount of energy. That system is about 5 years old and cost $55,000 at the time with a 5kw battery backup. (All numbers excluding tax credits)

At the time, I calculated a 12 year payback. When it went into production, due to my state rebates, generation, and low financing rate; I was able to break even starting month 3. The system has been paying for itself since.

Based on your numbers it would put a comparable system, with 1 powerwall, without pre-existing conditions at around $67,000. Or roughly $12,000 more than I paid 5 years ago. Granted i haven’t accounted for a new roof or aesthetics, but I think that’s a pretty comparable (or even favorable) calculation.

But certainly the jump from cost estimate is not a good surprise. Neither is the sunk cost of the non-solar related home repair.

• Informative
Reactions: Compton
I also calculated the solar roof online. It was $30k more expensive to do the solar roof for the same size and same powerwall count. I redid my roof for $8k and came out a lot cheaper. I really like the idea of a solar roof but you are paying a premium for it (unless you were planning on installing a metal or clay tile roof anyways, then it starts to make a lot more sense).