Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

110V Charging basics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. Thanks for all the good info. Supercharge once in a while and top of the 120V at home as much as I can will be the plan for now. Don’t really have too many other options. Maybe I’ll find a level 2 charger time to time from PlugShare. Change it up.

This is incorrect. Always or very frequent supercharging is bad for the battery and Tesla will start limiting the speed of supercharging over time, as it will try to protect the battery over the long term. Background below.

OP: Charging once a week at the SC to “top up” and then plugging in each night to add 10 or 20 miles - no problem.

Why Tesla Is Limiting Supercharging Rates On Some Frequent Users | CleanTechnica

While this makes sense and is technically correct, data from Tesla drivers (not scientific I know) tends to suggest otherwise. Yes there are reports of Tesla throttling your supercharging speed to 90kw if you fast charge constantly, but this is not a guaranteed event and few people have reported it while others who constantly fast charge haven't reported it.

Tesla battery data shows path to over 500,000 miles on a single pack

frequent Supercharging (twice a week to daily) appears to actually be beneficial in preventing battery degradation.

In general smaller discharge and charge sessions around the middle of the packs state of charge are actually way better for Lithium batteries. The problem is for most Tesla owners that can't work.

In an ideal world you daily drive from 60%-40% and charge back up to 60% at night. Your pack would last almost twice as long someone who went from 90%-30% and back daily. Shallow discharge and recharge is the Lion battery's best friend.

Really though, the battery management system Tesla has is pretty top notch no matter how you drive. Just plug it in as much as possible since you are stuck using 120v charging.