Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Strategy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
b7d1cdb6-094a-4e4f-82a5-5fec5a8a77ab.jpg

I always charge my battery to 50% as soon as I pull in the garage. Then I set it to be ready to go the next morning at whatever percentage I need. This strategy seems to have worked well. After 25k miles I still have a rated range around 320 miles. It takes about 2 minutes every evening to figure out where I am going the next day and how much battery I will need.

I have charged to 100% about 5-7 times per month, but it reaches 100% minutes before I leaven and I drive it down to between 10-50% immediately. So my car spends the overwhelming majority of its life at 50% battery.

I learned this strategy from someone on this forum. I would give credit if I could remember who it was from. But for me, it seems to work well.

My father in law also has a model y, 1 year older than mine. Also 25k miles. He keeps it charged at 80% all of the time. His rated range is down to 301. I don’t know much about batteries, but anecdotally the strategy I’m using seems to be significantly better than his strategy. But there may be other factors I am uninformed about.

View attachment 1004002

I always charge my battery to 50% as soon as I pull in the garage. Then I set it to be ready to go the next morning at whatever percentage I need. This strategy seems to have worked well. After 25k miles I still have a rated range around 320 miles. It takes about 2 minutes every evening to figure out where I am going the next day and how much battery I will need.

I have charged to 100% about 5-7 times per month, but it reaches 100% minutes before I leaven and I drive it down to between 10-50% immediately. So my car spends the overwhelming majority of its life at 50% battery.

I learned this strategy from someone on this forum. I would give credit if I could remember who it was from. But for me, it seems to work well.

My father in law also has a model y, 1 year older than mine. Also 25k miles. He keeps it charged at 80% all of the time. His rated range is down to 301. I don’t know much about batteries, but anecdotally the strategy I’m using seems to be significantly better than his strategy. But there may be other factors I am uninformed about.
Nice!! Could you please explain why blue curve starts to go up after ~9400 miles? Is that because you changed your charging strategy?

Well you have certainly geeked out! Possible reasons for the difference in range:
  • BMS calibration issues: for example, how far does your father-in-law drain down the battery before charging? If it is not very much the BMS calibration (range) is likely off.
  • Environmental issues: are both cars kept in the same environment, such as a heated garage?
A good test would be to drive both cars down to single digits, then charge to 100% and see what the ranges are.

Have fun!