Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12.3.6 regressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
12.3.6 is described as a bug fix release, it's clearly more because it's noticeably worse than the previous releases. I drove to Vermont yesterday and had the following problems,

The big one, it crashed. I've never seen this happen before but yesterday FSD crashed. It flashed a Major System Failure message, the visualization screen went mostly blank and FSD disengaged. I had to take over and drive while it rebooted which took a couple of minutes. This happened only once.

It's making lot's of unnecessary lane changes, it even did it when there was no traffic on the road. There is a minimize lane change switch but it's not sticky it's for the current drive only. I've haven't experienced this on any earlier rev.

It's gotten worse on exits. It's missing the lane changes to get over for the exit. It's weaving a little on exits. FSD was doing a lot better on exits than before but there has been a significant regression in 12.3.6.

It's having a harder time picking a lane, heads towards one then changes it's mind and picks a different one.

Still can't handle construction. There was a place on the highway where it narrowed down to one lane, FSD made no attempt to merge over to the good lane, it was heading straight for the traffic cones. FSD has never worked for construction, this isn't new to 12.3.6

Ignores speed limit signs that are in yellow or red, it's fine with the standard white signs but it ignores the colored ones that are placed on curves and for construction. Not a 12.4.6 problem, it's never been able to read colored speed limit signs.

Which version of FSD were you using before, and which car do you have? I’ve been using 12.3.6 for a while, and although it does stupid stuff, I’m not seeing many of the issues you describe, and for me it works much better than previous versions. You might have a camera calibration issue — try recalibrating.

Note that yellow speed limit signs aren’t really speed limits, they’re “suggestions.” Although the car doesn’t change the set speed based on those signs, it does slow down for curves.

I have a 2019 Model 3. The 12.3.6 came a couple of days ago. Things were working better on the previous release, don't have a history so I don't know which version I had last.
It doesn't slow down for the construction speed limit signs or for curves.

I just drove 9500 miles around USA in 7 weeks using 12.3.6. It did 90% of the driving, doing very well, much of it at 80-85mph. Tried to wreck us a couple of times, but I caught it. Overall, huge improvement over 11.x.x last summer. Now, back home in rural WA, it drives our two lane but well striped roads at 50mph, and slows and takes 20mph curves well. Overall, impressive, much more relaxing than driving myself. It still doesn’t understand that the default rural speed limit in WA is 50mph, so it often gets stuck driving 25.

I’ve noticed a significant increase in “multiple cameras blocked or blinded” when driving at night. Makes using FSD nearly impossible. I used to only get this on rural unmarked roads. Now I’m getting it on major freeways and/or well marked roads with lights.