Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12% range loss, 2013 MS, 75k miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a 2013 model S and it has a 12% range loss at full charge (230miles). I bought from the original owner, who never drove it out of state. Says he only drove it to Tucson and Flagstaff from Phoenix on weekends. Otherwise it was his daily driver. Maybe twenty times charged it to 100% and rarely supercharged it. He is an older guy, real estate lawyer and I trust him.
I know a lot of the data out there is speculation as Tesla doesn’t seem to release a lot of technical on this topic.

My theory is what if I have a bad module? Consensus seems to be 5% range loss in first 30-40k miles. Then 1% loss per 30k miles thereafter. Which means I’ve lost another 5-6% of range on top of that.

Losing one of the sixteen modules is about 5% of the total voltage and capacity. Drive unit will operate down to 200V so that would make the car un-driveable.
Im wondering if a bad module would trigger an alert in the software? I would think so but, and this stems from my mistrust of all the other car manufacturers, if Tesla retroactively applies their 70% degradation rule then they know one failed module doesn’t fall below the threshold to replace.
Is there a way to measure the main battery voltage?

Any thoughts, experience, clarifying questions I need to provide?

Appreciate any and all help as I’m feeling duped with this range loss for when I go to sell it.