Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

120 Degrees Outside, 90 Degrees inside(set AC to 68), and very slow charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title mentions, I was heading home from my family vacation in my 2022 MYP with about 7k miles on it. Was charging in Quartzsite which has fast chargers which were mostly empty. It was 120 Degrees and the AC would not keep the interior cool at all. Got up to 90 in the car. Also, charging was around 45KW even though SOC was less than 50%. Once we started driving the AC started to cool again and we made it home with an extra SC stop in Buckeye.

Wanted to know if I should call this into service or not. Thanks!

See Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual - Charging Instructions - During Charging

Note: Air conditioning performance is generally not affected by charging. However, in some circumstances (for example, charging at high currents during a particularly warm day), the air coming from the vents may not be as cool as expected and a message displays on the touchscreen. This is normal and ensures that the Battery stays within an optimum temperature range while charging to support longevity and optimum performance.

Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

Reactions: dmccorkle33
As the title mentions, I was heading home from my family vacation in my 2022 MYP with about 7k miles on it. Was charging in Quartzsite which has fast chargers which were mostly empty. It was 120 Degrees and the AC would not keep the interior cool at all. Got up to 90 in the car. Also, charging was around 45KW even though SOC was less than 50%. Once we started driving the AC started to cool again and we made it home with an extra SC stop in Buckeye.

Wanted to know if I should call this into service or not. Thanks!
I would expect that to be about normal under the circumstances. While charging (at higher rates, not on destination chargers), the ac is likely giving priority to keeping the pact cooler rather than you. And as you mentioned, once you started driving, the ac kept you more cool. I've experienced the same thing up here in the high desert heat when charging.

Reactions: Rocky_H