Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v battery issues with aftermarket subwoofer amp. Not covered under warranty PSA.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use an LC2i. I have it spliced to the stock subwoofer speaker level inputs to turn it on. I also power the LC2i from the stock amp power. This LC2i turns on a 200amp relay mounted inline on the amp main power supply. When the factory system shuts off (about 120 seconds after the door is shut) it turns off the LC2i which then turns off the amp AND the 200amp relay that completely disconnects the aftermarket amp from the 12v system. I have mine amp getting its power from the 12v under the rear seat. Been flawless for over 2 years now.. Still on the stock 12v battery. No issues and never had a warning. Stock subwoofer still works just fine.

Similar to Rmchrger, I am running a NVX XLCA2 Line Out Converter (LOC) that gets signal, power and remote from the factory sub amp location. From the LOC I have a remote wire that runs to a NVX VADM1 (500w rms class D) amp that powers a NVX 10" sub. The amp gets power directly from the penthouse under the rear seats. I don't recall if the XLCA2 has any type of built in relay, but I do know that the amp and LOC both turn off when the car turns off and do not draw any power when car is asleep. Been running this setup since March with no error messages and no issues.

I had a brainfart about the relay I use, its only an 80amp relay by stinger. Sorry for my bad info. The 80amp relay has worked great with the 500w Alpine mono amp with dual 10's.
Like ratcityrain says, he doesn't use a relay like me and doesn't have any issues. I think it may possibly be the make and/or model of the amp used and if it possibly has more parasitic drain/draw the the tesla can pick up and throw a warning. Just speculation.

I had a brainfart about the relay I use, its only an 80amp relay by stinger. Sorry for my bad info. The 80amp relay has worked great with the 500w Alpine mono amp with dual 10's.
Like ratcityrain says, he doesn't use a relay like me and doesn't have any issues. I think it may possibly be the make and/or model of the amp used and if it possibly has more parasitic drain/draw the the tesla can pick up and throw a warning. Just speculation.
Good to know. I really wanted to do a dual sub setup inside the cubby in the trunk, but that requires fiberglass work, which I'm no good at, and I knew I was getting into the arena of possibly creating errors going with a larger amp. I know there are many out there who are running dual subs so I may go down that road again.

From personal experience pulling directly off the 12v battery up front is a bad idea. Power from the penthouse runs thru vc_right and then vc_front before it gets to the battery. If you pull to much current from the 12v the car thinks something is wrong with the battery and will stop supplying power to it and you wouldnt know it till its a problem.

I tried my system off the front battery and wired a voltmeter to inside the car, everything worked fine at low volume, start cranking it up and the voltage starts to drop. If the voltage gets low enough the car will not attempt to charge it back up. I managed to run my 12v battery down when I was installing everything, I had to put a separate charger on it to get the voltage back up before the car thought it was ok.

Ran my system off the penthouse for 2 years problem free using the stringer relay and resistor, no matter how much I turned it up the voltage never fluctuated in the slightest.

Reactions: Rmchrger
Anyone with an aftermarket subwoofer and amp have any issues with their 12v battery? I got a warning message about the 12v battery and that service is required. I took it to the service center and later told me that the battery is not covered under warranty due to the aftermarket subwoofer. They first told me that the battery was being over charged (bullshit meter activated) and then added that the vehicle is detecting excessive energy draw. Excessive energy draw makes sense since an external source is taking away energy but what doesn't make sense is the failure of the 12v battery when the DC to DC converter should be supplying constant power just like an alternator in an ICE car.

Anyways, anyone have an issue with this? Also, don't add any aftermarket anything unless you want your warranty to expire.
I have Model X and I just replace my second 12v battery and first time since I got Tesla 2019 is 2 years ago. I have amplifier running 2x10" subwoofer since I got the car and I tapped directly to the 12v battery terminals with 50A fuse. The second time replacement last week, they do not honor the warranty due to the amplifier connection by pass the Tesla charging electronics that what SC explained to me.