Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model X P90DL-- Covered under battery warranty?

Are these battery issues covered by my unlimited mile warranty?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only some items

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla service center is saying this isn't covered by the unlimited mile battery warranty. Can anyone comment? See the invoice attached.

Some background-- This is a 2016 Model X P90DL with 130k miles. Battery/DU warranty expires in March 2024! Last year we had the charge port replaced because the lights around it were shorting and sometimes would not charge. This was not covered under warranty. I brought it back thinking they had to do the same repair/replacement again, but apparently the computers are telling them something different is wrong.

Attachments

• teslainvoice.jpg
    teslainvoice.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 39
My understanding is that the entire pack is included under the warranty, not just the battery itself. The contactors are part of the pack, no?
Unfortunately, that is not the way they see it, as shown with the very long and angry contentious dispute over failing PCS (power control system), which is in a compartment in the battery pack.

18 page thread

7 page thread

8 page thread

Interspersed through those is the story of the case where someone actually challenged Tesla's non warranty coverage of the failed PCS by pointing out that if someone just gets a whole new battery pack, it includes that entire area, which includes the new PCS, so they seem to treat it like it is part of the battery. It went to arbitration, and the arbitration board ruled on Tesla's side with it.

But as for contactors, for the last decade, they have been treating those as separate. Tesla doesn't really repair any batteries on site at the service centers (just replacement), so if they just did the contactor repair, it wasn't a battery replacement.

Unfortunately, that is not the way they see it, as shown with the very long and angry contentious dispute over failing PCS (power control system), which is in a compartment in the battery pack.

18 page thread

7 page thread

8 page thread

Interspersed through those is the story of the case where someone actually challenged Tesla's non warranty coverage of the failed PCS by pointing out that if someone just gets a whole new battery pack, it includes that entire area, which includes the new PCS, so they seem to treat it like it is part of the battery. It went to arbitration, and the arbitration board ruled on Tesla's side with it.

But as for contactors, for the last decade, they have been treating those as separate. Tesla doesn't really repair any batteries on site at the service centers (just replacement), so if they just did the contactor repair, it wasn't a battery replacement.
Thanks for your detailed response, Rocky. No repairs have been made yet and no errors have shown on my car, so I'm wondering if I should even authorize the work. This initially popped up because the colorful ring around the charge port was dimming and changing colors, which is exactly what happened one year ago and I paid to have the plug outlet replaced. ONE time, it gave me an error code to charge when it was pouring rain at my house, but since then we haven't had issues with charging. I looked at some FB groups and it looks like many people had the contactors replaced under the battery warranty. Apparently the contactors can't be "repaired", they must be replaced. And also, I have heard that some SC don't send the packs out anymore-- they repair them on site.

I've sent the service advisor a message 6 hours ago, asking if this would be under warranty, and I have yet to receive a response. It's Friday at almost 5pm and I was going to just go pick up my car today if they said it wasn't under warranty, but I suppose having a new Model Y loaner for the weekend won't be the worse thing.