Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V battery replacement [by tesla mobile service]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got the alert yesterday after returning from a trip. It is insane to me that the battery goes after about 2.5 years for many. I have ran batteries in my BMWs for almost 10 years without issue. I’ll call the SC tomorrow as the scheduler says they are a month out.

Also to the previous posts about needing to reprogram your BMW when changing the battery, that generally isn’t needed. You need to reprogram if you change the battery size or if the car changed it for you because the battery was degrading and the battery wouldn’t charge fully.

I just got the alert yesterday after returning from a trip. It is insane to me that the battery goes after about 2.5 years for many. I have ran batteries in my BMWs for almost 10 years without issue. I’ll call the SC tomorrow as the scheduler says they are a month out.

Also to the previous posts about needing to reprogram your BMW when changing the battery, that generally isn’t needed. You need to reprogram if you change the battery size or if the car changed it for you because the battery was degrading and the battery wouldn’t charge fully.
The battery goes so much quicker on an ev because the car is technically always on, so it's always drawing power from the 12v. That is what I was told at least.

The battery goes so much quicker on an ev because the car is technically always on, so it's always drawing power from the 12v. That is what I was told at least.
The car goes into sleep mode, 12 v off (with sentry mode off), notice it takes a while to wake up from the phone app ? Tesla has the world's smartest people on the Li battery and BMC, and no one that knows anything about lead acid care and feeding. It started with the S and until the recent refresh with the Li battery, affected all Teslas. A software patch went out 8? months ago, but it will take a couple of years to see if it fixed the seeming simple problem. The roadster initially pulled the 12 vdc from the pack, but quickly added a 12 v lead acid.