Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v cigarette lighter adapter plugged in for days?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sooo. To revive this thread.

Any conclusions?

I just bought a tiny $45 fridge for my x. Plan is to leave it in trunk connected to rear 12volt cigarette lighter.

Will keeping climate on or dog mode on keep it powered? I’m assuming camping mode will but then I think the car stays open. No good for me.

Any conclusions?

I just bought a tiny $45 fridge for my x. Plan is to leave it in trunk connected to rear 12volt cigarette lighter.

Will keeping climate on or dog mode on keep it powered? I’m assuming camping mode will but then I think the car stays open. No good for me.

I bought the 300W Portable Power Station to power my camping fridge. The power station is charged via the cigarette lighter and it powers the fridge (pass-through charging).

Power-Bank-Backup-Power.png

Reactions: DelPhonic1

Any conclusions?

I thought this thread was interesting and possibly relevant:

Image searched it since you didn't provide details for some reason. This?? Model Number: NV300-3 / Brand Name: Lemon/OEM

How long did you calculate your fridge would run on it?

The runtime is ymmv because it depends on a lot of factors. I have a 47L fridge. At start up, it uses 30-45W and the battery shows that I have 7 hours of runtime.
When it gets to temp and the compressor turns off, it uses very little power. It also depends on how often you use it, open and close, how full you have the stuff in there and how hot is the surrounding temp. Best is to plug it in overnight at home before you start your trip.
When I'm at the campground, I just lock the fridge to one of the wheel and plug it into the extension which taps into 12V battery. I also use the same extension to run my always on mobile hotspot and Wyze cam.

Fridge: Amazon.com: Rockpals 12 Volt Refrigerator, 50 Quart (47L) Portable Freezer, Electric Cooler Fast Cooling-4℉~68℉ with Handle & Wheels, 12/24V DC, 100/240V AC, Solar Charge for Car Truck Rvs Boats Campsites Home : Automotive

Power station: Amazon.com: AFTIME Portable Power Station 300W (450W Max) 80000mAh 296Wh PD65W 120W Max Dual Input Solar Generator Pure Sine Wave AC Outlet Fast Charge Lithium Battery Backup for Outdoors Camping Travel Home CPAP : Everything Else
This one supports 120W dual input charging. It takes 1hr to charge from 25% to full.
For your small $45 fridge, it should be able to run for days without recharging.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: scottf200

Any conclusions?

Forgive if this has already been mentioned up-thread, but I leave my fridge / freezer plugged into the 12V socket near the rear hatch indefinitely. I have the six seat configuration, and my fridge fits perfectly between the two middle row seats (and also serves as a nice surface / armrest for passengers). I've had it plugged in for nearly three years with no problems whatsoever. The fridge will continue to receive power if you leave Sentry Mode active.

This has been a great solution for keeping drinks cold, or bringing frozen treats on long road trips. It's also nice when I'm out running errands too. I can tackle the grocery shopping as well as other errands with the confidence the dairy or meats I've bought won't thaw or spoil while I'm out and about. Love my fridge!

IMG_4182.jpegIMG_4183.jpeg

Forgive if this has already been mentioned up-thread, but I leave my fridge / freezer plugged into the 12V socket near the rear hatch indefinitely. I have the six seat configuration, and my fridge fits perfectly between the two middle row seats (and also serves as a nice surface / armrest for passengers). I've had it plugged in for nearly three years with no problems whatsoever. The fridge will continue to receive power if you leave Sentry Mode active.

This has been a great solution for keeping drinks cold, or bringing frozen treats on long road trips. It's also nice when I'm out running errands too. I can tackle the grocery shopping as well as other errands with the confidence the dairy or meats I've bought won't thaw or spoil while I'm out and about. Love my fridge!
I have the same fridge but with the option blanket on it. I ended up wiring to the 4 pin electric manual trailer brake plug.
Various fridge wiring discussions here: Fridge/Freezer that fits the Model X is on sale

@BryWay, how cold do you set the fridge to when having frozen vs. non-frozen food items? Sentry mode drains a good amount of battery so many of us don't want to leave it on all the time.
I've never been concerned about battery drain. Have a huge battery, and plug in daily. On road trips it's a doddle. What's another 60-seconds at a Supercharger? Benefit vastly outweighs the negligible loss of range IMHO.

Reactions: FlatSix911