Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V not turning off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my '21 Model 3 SR+ a few days ago. I installed some ambient light strips that plug into the 12V socket. I noticed well over an hour after I had left the car and gone in my house, the lights were still on, even though I pressed the power off button for the strips themselves. Does the 12V socket ever go to sleep with the car or will it continue to stay on?

I believe the power state of those outlets is addressed in the manual, but they should turn off when the car goes to sleep. If your car is not sleeping, they wont turn off. verify that in the manual though (I am 1000% sure the power state of the 12v is addressed there).

Just picked up my '21 Model 3 SR+ a few days ago. I installed some ambient light strips that plug into the 12V socket. I noticed well over an hour after I had left the car and gone in my house, the lights were still on, even though I pressed the power off button for the strips themselves. Does the 12V socket ever go to sleep with the car or will it continue to stay on?
The 12v power stays on until the car goes to sleep. If you have sentry mode on, the car will never go to sleep so therefor the lights will stay on. You either need to turn off sentry mode, or manually switch the lights.

The 12v power stays on until the car goes to sleep. If you have sentry mode on, the car will never go to sleep so therefor the lights will stay on. You either need to turn off sentry mode, or manually switch the lights.
Sentry mode was also switched off according to my app. Regarding sentry, if turned off on the app does that mean it will not record anything? Let's say someone walks up to my car and sentry is off on the app, will that event not be recorded? Someone in my house walked past the car when they were coming home, so maybe that triggered sentry mode and the lights along with it?

Sentry mode was also switched off according to my app. Regarding sentry, if turned off on the app does that mean it will not record anything? Let's say someone walks up to my car and sentry is off on the app, will that event not be recorded? Someone in my house walked past the car when they were coming home, so maybe that triggered sentry mode and the lights along with it?
If sentry is off it’s off. Nothing records.

Are you saying that Sentry Mode will wear the battery fast since it's never going to sleep?
I assume that, and apparently leaving something plugged into the 12V. I noticed a significant difference in range drop overnight when leaving sentry mode on. Lost over 10 miles of range when I left it on compared to 1 or 2 without it on. Bit annoying having to pick between my car being monitored and not losing range.

I assume that, and apparently leaving something plugged into the 12V. I noticed a significant difference in range drop overnight when leaving sentry mode on. Lost over 10 miles of range when I left it on compared to 1 or 2 without it on. Bit annoying having to pick between my car being monitored and not losing range.
What do you expect? How do you expect them to power 6 cameras, and record everything without using power? It states in the manual about 1 mile per hour extra drain if I remember correctly. Why do you not charge your car at night? Best of both worlds.

Something is keeping your car awake. That or they changed the outlet to be contact power rather than accessory power... Which I know they have done to other things in the past through software updates.

What do you expect? How do you expect them to power 6 cameras, and record everything without using power? It states in the manual about 1 mile per hour extra drain if I remember correctly. Why do you not charge your car at night? Best of both worlds.
My house was built in the 50's and am waiting for our electrician to come set up a ground wire. We currently can't charge at the house overnight.

I'm assuming it's that. I turned the lights off via the control switch but they stayed on well over an hour later. Had to toggle it off from the button on its 12V input.
If it uses an app to control them, maybe you can use something like tasker to turn them on and off with the bluetooth of your car connecting and disconnecting to your car? IE turn on lights when car connects to phone and another task that turns off lights when bluetooth disconnects?

Yes, it will drain the high voltage battery when unplugged but I keep it plugged so in that situation, is the 12V battery solicited or does it act like a UPS, meaning the power is taken from the utility and only switch to battery when utility power is off?

Smart summon standby may also effect the car sleeping

If your nearby the car after a while you should be able to hear the HV contactors thump as car goes to sleep
The same thing will happen if you approach the car and unlock it, you should hear the HV contactors thump when the car wakes

Yes, it will drain the high voltage battery when unplugged but I keep it plugged so in that situation, is the 12V battery solicited or does it act like a UPS, meaning the power is taken from the utility and only switch to battery when utility power is off?

From what I remember reading, it pulls from the 12V at all times, and the HV battery refills the 12V (then the car triggers charging the HV battery, if its plugged in).

I ended up getting some lights from RPM Tesla that you connect to the wire harness of the lights under dash that light up floor. That way the lights turn on and off when the door opens and I can turn them on while driving through the console if I want them on.