Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V Outlet Always On since 2019.5.15 Update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed the other night that my dashcam was still recording after the car had shut off. I have looked out in the garage numerous times and the light is still flashing on the camera. Anyone else noticed this or can check it out? I did a search on the forum for the firmware version and I didn't see anyone else commenting on this.

Found the article about it that I wanted to link to when I posted. Here it is, from February, 2019: Tesla's 'Party and Camping Mode' coming in a 'month or two' says Elon Musk

but come to think of it I think the reason could be that with TeslaCam's Sentry Mode it requires the power to run. Those features got introduced with 2019.5.4 (to a subset of people) and then more widely with 2019.5.15.

Last edited:
I noticed the other night that my dashcam was still recording after the car had shut off. I have looked out in the garage numerous times and the light is still flashing on the camera. Anyone else noticed this or can check it out? I did a search on the forum for the firmware version and I didn't see anyone else commenting on this.

After seeing someone else report this, I replied in another thread that my 12V outlet definitely does not stay on. Did you have Sentry Mode on? The one time I tried it, the 12V stayed on. However, with Sentry Mode off, mine doesn't get power to the 12V. I have a BlackVue DR900S-2CH installed. The dashcam turns off when the car sleeps. I don't know how long it takes the car to sleep, but the dashcam boots up when I start the car in the morning, so I know it's losing power overnight. Mine is also on 15.5 and is an 8XXX VIN, so I wonder if there's a difference depending on how recently the car was built.

After seeing someone else report this, I replied in another thread that my 12V outlet definitely does not stay on. Did you have Sentry Mode on? The one time I tried it, the 12V stayed on. However, with Sentry Mode off, mine doesn't get power to the 12V. I have a BlackVue DR900S-2CH installed. The dashcam turns off when the car sleeps. I don't know how long it takes the car to sleep, but the dashcam boots up when I start the car in the morning, so I know it's losing power overnight. Mine is also on 15.5 and is an 8XXX VIN, so I wonder if there's a difference depending on how recently the car was built.

I didn't think I had the Sentry mode on yet as I hadn't dug through the menus since the update, but I see in the app that I turned it on and then I remembered seeing a post on Reddit about where it was located, so I turned it on and then I promptly forgot about it. Thanks for that info, at least I know the reason now.

I didn't think I had the Sentry mode on yet as I hadn't dug through the menus since the update, but I see in the app that I turned it on and then I remembered seeing a post on Reddit about where it was located, so I turned it on and then I promptly forgot about it. Thanks for that info, at least I know the reason now.

I'm going to eat crow because for the past few nights, my dashcam definitely stayed on all night. I have no idea why it's intermittent, but now it's bugging me that the 12V outlet isn't acting consistently. If it's always on, that's great. If it's always off, that's fine because that's how it's been for a year. But sometimes on sometimes off with no reason why is annoying.

I'm going to eat crow because for the past few nights, my dashcam definitely stayed on all night. I have no idea why it's intermittent, but now it's bugging me that the 12V outlet isn't acting consistently. If it's always on, that's great. If it's always off, that's fine because that's how it's been for a year. But sometimes on sometimes off with no reason why is annoying.

Well, now I guess I will have to pay attention and see what it is doing with Sentry enabled and then try again with it shut off and see how my car reacts over a few day period in each state. It will be annoying if its a sometimes on/off thing that seems to have no reason. I'll try to remember to update after I see how it is acting. Thanks for that update, I had just figured it was due to Sentry mode and wasn't going to bother with watching it.