Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v Reset on Model X - how to?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

It's been suggested that my issue (glove box won't open) might be resolved by a 12v reset. However, I've searched all over and can't seem to find how to do a 12v reset on a Model X. If anyone knows how to do this or has a link to a thread with this, I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance!
B

1) A 12V reset is basically disconnecting the 12V so everything powered by it is disconnected.
2) One presumably must disconnect the HV first to ensure that the inverter isn't providing 12V while the 12V battery circuit is broken.
3) I have seen a few hints that there might be a lug to remove the 12V connection near the fireman's loop vs removing it at the battery (which will cause sparking and might not be recommended).
4) Log in to Tesla Service and you ought to be able to find the relevant instructions for replacing the 12V battery, which should certainly include or point toward properly disconnecting it.

Reactions: scottf200
This was SUPER helpful, thank you!
I would be interested to hear if you were successful with resolving your glove box issue with the 12V battery disconnect.

My glove box on my Model X 2017 does not react when I push the physical button to open it. This occurred suddenly and it may be related to a satellite map update which took extremely long to download. A few day later after watching a few videos from other affected people, I managed to open the glove box with a long flat-head screwdriver without damaging anything. Now I have removed the right striking plate and I can close and open it relatively easy. What I can tell: the light inside is working. When I configure a PIN to be entered to open the glove box and I push the button, then I actually get a prompt to enter the PIN which confirms that the button itself works. But I do not hear any noise. So I think the actuator does not get any power.

I have read many posts describing a similar experience with the glove box in Model X and Model S. It seems to be a software issue in some way. Some report that a software update fixed it. Several other reports state that disconnecting the 12V battery fixed the issue.

Currently I keep fighting with my Tesla Service Center to convince them to provide me a software update for download. But they do not listen to the user experiences I provided to them. I do not know if they are using ChatGPT to keep me away. Nice formulated words but with the Tesla service APP there is zero learning curve. They are so stubborn and do not want to provide me another software download so that I can try and test if this fixes the issue. Instead they insist to replace the glove box and would charge 445 EUR for this.

My next step would be to try with the 12V battery reset.

I would be interested to hear if you were successful with resolving your glove box issue with the 12V battery disconnect.

My glove box on my Model X 2017 does not react when I push the physical button to open it. This occurred suddenly and it may be related to a satellite map update which took extremely long to download. A few day later after watching a few videos from other affected people, I managed to open the glove box with a long flat-head screwdriver without damaging anything. Now I have removed the right striking plate and I can close and open it relatively easy. What I can tell: the light inside is working. When I configure a PIN to be entered to open the glove box and I push the button, then I actually get a prompt to enter the PIN which confirms that the button itself works. But I do not hear any noise. So I think the actuator does not get any power.

I have read many posts describing a similar experience with the glove box in Model X and Model S. It seems to be a software issue in some way. Some report that a software update fixed it. Several other reports state that disconnecting the 12V battery fixed the issue.

Currently I keep fighting with my Tesla Service Center to convince them to provide me a software update for download. But they do not listen to the user experiences I provided to them. I do not know if they are using ChatGPT to keep me away. Nice formulated words but with the Tesla service APP there is zero learning curve. They are so stubborn and do not want to provide me another software download so that I can try and test if this fixes the issue. Instead they insist to replace the glove box and would charge 445 EUR for this.

My next step would be to try with the 12V battery reset.
Update: this was fixed for me this week with a hard reset, i.e. a 12V battery disconnect. The glove compartment opens again.

To disconnect the 12V without removing the frunk, presumably the right steps are to:

1. Power off the car through the touchscreen
2. Open Frunk and disconnect Fireman's loop
3. Disconnect 12V positive terminal at the fuse box
4. Wait a minute
5. Reconnect

Sounds right?