Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X won’t turn off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I just took delivery of a 2023 Model X Plaid. This is my 5th Tesla. Never experienced anything like this before. Posting here because I’ve searched high and wide to no avail.

Whenever I get out of the car, the lights and main screen display stay on, and the car stays unlocked. I just went into Target. Both key cards and my phone in my pocket. Came back to the parking lot and see my headlights are on from afar. Walk closer and see the car screens are on, and it’s already unlocked.

What’s going on? I tried resetting, didn’t help.

Hi all,
I just took delivery of a 2023 Model X Plaid. This is my 5th Tesla. Never experienced anything like this before. Posting here because I’ve searched high and wide to no avail.

Whenever I get out of the car, the lights and main screen display stay on, and the car stays unlocked. I just went into Target. Both key cards and my phone in my pocket. Came back to the parking lot and see my headlights are on from afar. Walk closer and see the car screens are on, and it’s already unlocked.

What’s going on? I tried resetting, didn’t help.
Do you have walk away lock turned on? If not, you will have to manually lock the car from the app (or the fob if you have one)

First thing I would try is rebooting the car. There are several different ways to do this - see the sticky thread on the Model X page of this forum. I would try the full reboot. If that doesn't work, I would try and see if you can turn the car off with the phone app and then lock the car with the app. Once you get it to turn off and lock once, maybe that will get it to turn off and lock on its own. Would be interested to see if any of this works.

I suspect OP already knows this, but if you unlock with the card or fob, you have to lock with one. Walk-away lock only works when unlocked with the phone app.

It might be worthwhile to uninstall and reinstall the phone app, since it's the only thing responsible for turning off your car automatically.

I suspect OP already knows this, but if you unlock with the card or fob, you have to lock with one. Walk-away lock only works when unlocked with the phone app.
It might be worthwhile to uninstall and reinstall the phone app, since it's the only thing responsible for turning off your car automatically.
I am pretty sure this is incorrect. At least my X does not work this way. I usually have at least two means of unlock with me, sometimes four. My iPhone and Apple Watch, plus sometimes a fob. Oh yeah, I also carry a key card. It does not matter which I use. Walk away lock always works fine. The only time it doesn’t, is when my wife leaves her phone in the car. Rare, but it has happened.

No it was happening before that. I was hoping the holiday update would fix it, but not luck.

My service center seems to think it's the seat occupancy sensor causing the problem, but I put the car into service mode and it seems to be working fine to me? My appointment to fix it isn't for another week. Annoying currently as I have to go into Safety and "power off" the car every time I get out.