Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v Sulfur Smell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 (10/18 build date) has recently smelled like sulfur after parking it in the garage. At first I wasn't sure what was causing it, but the smell reminded me of battery acid so I popped the hood and smelled near the 12v battery - I definitely smelled sulfur.

I've never noticed this before, however I'm coming out of winter and the last two days have been in the upper 80's. Could there be some correlation with the external temperature (I keep my car in a cool garage) and the battery off-gasing? I checked the battery and I didn't see any leaks, but there is a battery vent. My guess is after I'm done driving it off-gases in the garage - when I open the door most of the smell goes away.

I'm thinking of requesting a service appointment if it continues this week, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this on their Model 3? Could it be the AC instead somehow?

Last edited:
What hazardous gases are associated with lead acid battery charging stations? | GfG Instrumentation | GfG Instrumentation

Sulfuric acid contains sulfur, and hydrogen sulfide (H2S) is a possible by-product of over-charging and battery decomposition. If you smell the rotten egg odor of H2S in the charging area, you should assume that this very dangerous gas is a possibility. You should leave the area, and use a gas detecting instrument with an H2S sensor to confirm whether the gas is present before returning.

However, H2S is not the most common gas associated with charging or discharging lead acid batteries that contain sulfuric acid. Given the over-heating and other problems you mentioned, you may not find H2S, but you probably will find the presence of other atmospheric hazards when you test the atmosphere in the area with your gas detector.

The most common reaction byproducts associated with sulfuric acid (H2SO4) are hydrogen and sulfur dioxide. Overcharging, or lead acid battery malfunctions can produce hydrogen. In fact, if you look, there is almost always at least a little H2 around in areas where lead batteries are being charged.

Sulfur is indeed emitted by the battery when it is failing or being overcharged. I don't hear of them exploding, so you should be fine, but definite you need a new battery. Can't have the garage smelling like sulfur.