Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anything to be worried about

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I was adding some gas to our lawnmower in the garage and a small bit of gasoline spilled on the floor (which I can smell in my garage.) this was hours ago and the garage floor is dry, but I'm up now nervous that some how my car charging tonight could some how catch fire (the gas would be under where my car was parked.) It's 10:30 pm where I'm from and I'm wondering if I should go buy some kitty litter and put it on my garage floor to absorb any gas in the ground, park my car not in the garage tonight (and this not charging) or if I'm just overthinking...any advice, so I can hopefully sleep in piece.

(I somehow think a fire is going to start on the ground below my car while I'm sleeping, and my car battery will explode on me.)

While I agree with your general assertion, there are at least 10x as many ICE cars as EVs so not sure a google search ratio is all that definitive.
While you're correct that this approach doesn't prove the point, the point has been proven before.

EVs result in about 25 fires for every 100,000 sold. ICE cars result in 1,530 fires for every 100,000, and surprisingly, hybrids result in 3,475 fires per 100,000.

Upvote 0
While you're correct that this approach doesn't prove the point, the point has been proven before.

EVs result in about 25 fires for every 100,000 sold. ICE cars result in 1,530 fires for every 100,000, and surprisingly, hybrids result in 3,475 fires per 100,000.

I agree with the assertion (as I said) just not that particular methodology for proving it.

Upvote 0
While I agree with your general assertion, there are at least 10x as many ICE cars as EVs so not sure a google search ratio is all that definitive.
I should have said "per X number of cars". I have seen that metric that @jkdman123 posted before, and it is what I was trying to say (that ICE vehicles catch fire at a rate higher than EVs" but I didnt state it very well, I agree with that.

Reactions: mborkow
Upvote 0
I should have said "per X number of cars". I have seen that metric that @jkdman123 posted before, and it is what I was trying to say (that ICE vehicles catch fire at a rate higher than EVs" but I didnt state it very well, I agree with that.
It makes sense they would, especially older vehicles. As the hoses that deliver fuel degrade over time, you’re at a risk of a hose breaking and spilling fuel in the engine compartment, add in the high heat and you’ve got a perfect recipe for a fire.

Upvote 0
Lots (most?) of battery powered devices (lawnmowers, chainsaws, ....)
use LFP batteries (as do Model 3 RWD). LFP is simply very very difficult to make burn.

But the battery fire issue is way overstated by anti-battery folks. Ever left your ICE
car on the street because you were afraid of gas fires? Bet not.

I'll assert without proof that you are more likely to be severely hurt
in a car accident than injured by *any* car fire.

Reactions: jkdman123
Upvote 0