Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v Switched?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to use the brown wire for the signal to my amp remote turn-on.

I asked myself if I really needed a relay there so I compared to electronic relay current consumption vs. amp remote

Electronic Relay: 12mA
Remonte: 14mA

I don't think I will put a relay on it for 2mA !

Attachments

• 20240323_090430.jpg
    20240323_090430.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 15
Sorry to disagree with @Idkorcare! But theoretically I think you might be OK. That brown wire is connected to a digital circuit that only supplies enough amperage to power LED lights. If you try to draw too much amperage on that wire it will trip the digital breaker (and will require a deep sleep to reset). It's not enough amperage to flip over some of the electro magnet relays people have tried, but it is enough amperage to trigger a Solid State Relay. Since remote turn-on requires very little amperage (similar to a SSR), I think you might be OK. You'll just have to try it and see. The relay will give you more safety in isolation and the ability to add more later, but if remote turn on is all you plan or need, you might be fine.

Let us know how it goes!
This is what I tested in the previous post (cannot edit ?)

I do not think that the brown wire requires a relay for amplifier remote turn-on with thoses values.

Just wanted to thank all the trailblazers in this thread!

For those of you who have a 2024 MYLR from Austin, I can confirm that there is switched power source in the passenger side footwell. The power comes on when you sit in the driver’s seat and press the brake. It goes off when you exit the vehicle. You can see from the picture it was the thicker of two wires in the cable channel that were right on top of the bundle. I didn’t have to do any digging at all to get to it. To me it looks like it has an orangish tint to it. I just stuck a pin in it to pierce the insulation and validated that it was off with a 12v test light. Then I made sure it came on when seated in the driver's seat with the brake depressed.

I wanted a switched source for my Echo Auto as the existing Tesla USBs seem to stay on and I kept getting notifications that Echo Auto was ready to drive. I hooked up DC to USB A converter. I had a quick disconnect and an inline fuse on hand, so I added those into the harness. I used a blue Posi-Tap to make the connection to the switched 12v power source. There is a large ground bolt (10mm) in the door jamb that I loosened and slid a spade fork connector into that for the ground.

Attachments

• IMG_0128.JPG
    IMG_0128.JPG
    466 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0132.JPG
    IMG_0132.JPG
    524 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0130.JPG
    IMG_0130.JPG
    886.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DC Converter.jpg
    DC Converter.jpg