Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI

I had a Hubbell Nema 14-50 outlet installed today. Had wired, but electrician could only find a 60A breaker. Will this be an issue?

Probably better to put it on a 40 amp breaker and cut the current on your cars charger down. Yes this is an issue that needs to be rectified immediately.

Last edited:
I'm no electrician but let me take a whack at it also. I say cut the red wire!

But jokes aside, if he's an actual electrician why violate code and leave it up to you to take an unnecessary risk (14-50 on a 60amp breaker)? Breakers are relatively cheap.
Exactly. Relatively cheap and very simple to install. Unfortunately not all of us are simple enough to install one. I love your "he's an actual electrician".

I buy my breakers from The Home Depot for less than $20. Snap in, tighten wires in place, flip on. Just think of all the electrical experience you'll be getting! I expect your electrician hopes you never learn how easy his job is. Oh, right, "Years of education, years of experience, cost of insurance if anything (God forbid) goes wrong. Please. It's not rocket science. It's barely outlet science. Whatever.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H