Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 Outdoor Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PSA for everyone considering doing this. After finding that Home Depot is completely out of stock and calling over a 1/2 dozen electrical supply houses in my region I've learned that there is currently a national shortage for these GFCI breakers. They normally sell for $94 at your standard home hardware store such as Home Depot, but the only place you can find them right now is through 3rd party sellers on Amazon & Ebay who are pricing gouging the heck out them. I managed to get one for $144 through Amazon, but there are only a few remaining. I asked the supply houses when they anticipate new stock and they seemed to think February 2021 best case scenario!

I like the look of the OP's handiwork. Well Done.

My wife's father was an electrician, so I'm not allowed to run any new circuits. Must get a electrician to do that. For my 14-50 outlet, I hired a certified electrician and he ran the circuit to the garage. Been working fine since June. However, the box is on the wall, not recessed. I've had the charger plugged into that since June and it works fine. I just went out the check on this after reading this thread and the top of the plug was very slightly leaning out. Not a problem yet. For now I have unplugged the charger and will plug it in when needed. Thank you for preventing issues.

Now the question is how to mount the bracket for the charger? Needs to also be about 3" from the wall. A 2x4 is a bit less than 2" thick.
could mount two 2x4 connected to the studs and then mount the charger bracket to that. Might need to have four pieces as the bracket will likely be larger than the 3.5 inches of the 2x4. Plus it'd probably look a bit kludgy.

Any suggestions?
Cut a 3" length of a 2X4 as a spacer. Using the provided NEMA 5-15 power plug adapter to gauge how far down the wall from the 14-50 receptacle the Mobile Connector electronics unit will ideally need to be installed. Screw the spacer you cut to the wall stud at this location with a couple of wood screws, this does not have to be exact as the spacing of the mounting holes on the Mobile Connector chassis (bracket) leave you more than an inch of vertical adjustment before you decide where to permanently attach the chassis to the spacer. Place one or two screws on each side of the spacer to anchor the spacer to the wall stud. Start the screw on 45 degree angle so the screw (1.5 inch or even a bit longer) goes through the side of the spacer and into the front face of the wall stud. The Tesla Mobile Connector chassis (bracket) that is sold as part of the Tesla Cable Organizer kit is 3/32" thick molded plastic at the back of the chassis. There is a center hole and a second lower slot that is 1 - 5/16 inches from the center hole. When you have the NEMA 14-50 power plug adapter you can assemble the Mobile Connector with the NEMA 14-50 power plug adapter. Before proceeding, be sure to turn off the power to this 240V circuit at the breaker. Insert the 14-50 power plug into the 14-50 receptacle, then insert the Mobile connector into the chassis and finalize the location of the chassis against the spacer, mark the location of the top mounting screw. Install two short wood screws (i.e. 1" inch in length) in the chassis holes to secure the chassis to the spacer. If you purchased the Tesla Cable Organizer determine a good location below the Mobile Connector chassis to install the cable hanger bracket.

Reactions: rokitnerd
Just a quick update. I've had my car for over a week now and not a single nuisance trip has occurred at the GFCI breaker. Also pleased to report that my electrical inspection went smoothly and the inspector was 100% satisfied with the work I did =]