Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 6-50 or 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A little bit of background. I’m in the military and we move ever 2-3 years. We bought the house we’re currently living in so I’m looking down the road in case a tenant has a need to charge an EV.

My question is whether it’s a better idea to install a NEMA 6-50 or 14-50. The way I see it the 14-50 will only work with the Tesla mobile charger or equivalent. The 6-50 will work with the mobile charger or equivalent but also allow for a potential hard wire install.

Am I over thinking this or does it really matter? Looking forward to your feedback.

A 14-50 has one additional wire - a neutral.

That makes it more flexible but possibly more expensive due to the extra copper.

If you hard wire later, you just cap the neutral. If you (for some reason) decide you want a 6-50 later, you cap the neutral.

if additional cost was negligible, I’d definitely do the 14-50.
Definitely didn’t consider capping the neutral. You make a great point.

Tesla currently has 60% of the EV market in the US. A tenant with an EV would likely have a Tesla vehicle. Many Tesla owners have the Tesla Mobile Connector that now comes with the NEMA 14-50 power plug adapter in addition to the standard 120V 15 amp NEMA 5-15 power plug adapter. Some Tesla owners may also have purchased the NEMA 6-50 power plug adapter. The 6-50 power plug adapter for the Mobile Connector is available from Tesla for $45. Installing a circuit with a 14-50 receptacle would enable many Tesla and other EV vehicle owners to charge. If you own an arc welder the 6-50 receptacle is commonly used with the welding equipment.

Recently I was given a tour of someone's workshop where they had a 6-50 receptacle and welding equipment. Soon after my visit I ordered the Tesla 6-50 power plug adapter so I am able to charge at 240 volts and 32 amps at this location should the opportunity/need arise. I will continue to order additional types of Tesla power plug adapters for the Tesla Mobile Connector as I encounter novel charging locations.

The 14-50 is a much more common plug. The mobile connector comes with this by default.

The general rule with this kind of work is to future proof because it's the labor and time that is expensive. Plus the extra cost of the wire in this case should be minimal at best. As others explained, a 3 wire install behind the scenes can be used for either plug as well as the hardwired wall connector.

There's not much argument for the 6-50 install, really.

Reactions: ATPMSD
A little bit of background. I’m in the military and we move ever 2-3 years. We bought the house we’re currently living in so I’m looking down the road in case a tenant has a need to charge an EV.

My question is whether it’s a better idea to install a NEMA 6-50 or 14-50. The way I see it the 14-50 will only work with the Tesla mobile charger or equivalent. The 6-50 will work with the mobile charger or equivalent but also allow for a potential hard wire install.

Am I over thinking this or does it really matter? Looking forward to your feedback.
14-50 is a common RV hookup.
so a future tenant would have the option of hooking up an RV in addition to the use of a Tesla Mobile Charger (with the 14-50 adapter).

In my case I had a 10-30 dryer circuit that I repurposed (total cost $300) for use with the Mobile Charger that came with my MYLR.
I believe a MC is a better investment than a Wall Charger since you can take it with you on trips, and I have friends with 14-50 outlets for their RVs.

14-50 is the more common plug these days. The Tesla Mobile Connector, and the portable EVSEs sometimes supplied with non-Tesla EVs, are more likely to have a 14-50 plug than a 6-50 plug included by default. For a hard wire install later, either outlet can be removed and the hard wire EVSE connected (with any unused neutral being capped off).

For either 14-50 or 6-50, avoid the outlets that have half size steel contacts to the plug blades (Leviton 279-S00 and 5374), which increases the risk of overheating due to higher resistance. Most other outlets have full size brass contacts that have better conductivity.

And a warning about those 6-50s out in the wild. Many of them are actually setup with 40a wiring and breaker for a welder. Not a problem for the Gen2 mobile evse, but it was a problem with gen1 and adaptors. Could easily pull 40a.

** Many may be stretching it, but 100% of the garages I know that have 6-50s are on 40a breaker with undersized wiring. Sample size 2.

• Helpful
Reactions: jcanoe
14-50 is the more common plug these days. The Tesla Mobile Connector, and the portable EVSEs sometimes supplied with non-Tesla EVs, are more likely to have a 14-50 plug than a 6-50 plug included by default. For a hard wire install later, either outlet can be removed and the hard wire EVSE connected (with any unused neutral being capped off).

For either 14-50 or 6-50, avoid the outlets that have half size steel contacts to the plug blades (Leviton 279-S00 and 5374), which increases the risk of overheating due to higher resistance. Most other outlets have full size brass contacts that have better conductivity.
HUBBELL manyufactured outlet is advised.

I would opt for the 14-50 plug just so I can get the Hubbell industrial grade outlet. It is definitely worth spending the extra $60 for a set it and forget it charge usage. Don't know if Hubbell makes a 6-50 industrial grade version of that outlet. Also if you sell or have renters for the house, it is much better to leave a 14-50 outlet there since the non-Tesla EVSEs usually have a 14-50 outlet on them and not a 6-50.

I would opt for the 14-50 plug just so I can get the Hubbell industrial grade outlet. It is definitely worth spending the extra $60 for a set it and forget it charge usage. Don't know if Hubbell makes a 6-50 industrial grade version of that outlet. Also if you sell or have renters for the house, it is much better to leave a 14-50 outlet there since the non-Tesla EVSEs usually have a 14-50 outlet on them and not a 6-50.
Most 14-50 and 6-50 outlets are claimed to be industrial grade.

Hubbell / Bryant 14-50 (but not 6-50) outlets do have an easier to use wire clamping mechanism that reduces the risk of installation error compared to the more usual screw-down wire clamping. However, careful installation of screw-down wire clamping works fine. Sloppy installation could result in overheating and melting of the back of the outlet.

The main difference that is not affected by installation care is that most 14-50 and 6-50 outlets have full size brass contacts to the plug blades, but the common Leviton 279-S00 and 5374 outlets have half size steel contacts, which are less conductive, meaning more resistance and heat generation at high amperages. This results in the Tesla Mobile Connector detecting high heat and causing a reduction in charging amperage, or overheating and melting of the front of the outlet.

I'd always install a Wall charger if it's for a house I own. Just more enjoyable to use day to day, simpler and safer without a plug.

If I was using an RV or it was a rental I was rarely at then I'd consider a 14-50 instead.

I wouldn't install a 6-50 unless it was an extremely long run of wire where ommitting the neutral saved significant expense. Can always get a 14-50 adapter for a welder.

Reactions: GSP
I'd always install a Wall charger if it's for a house I own. Just more enjoyable to use day to day, simpler and safer without a plug.

If I was using an RV or it was a rental I was rarely at then I'd consider a 14-50 instead.

I wouldn't install a 6-50 unless it was an extremely long run of wire where ommitting the neutral saved significant expense. Can always get a 14-50 adapter for a welder.
The value of a Mobile Charger cannot be overestimated.
The minor reduction in amperage is more than offset by flexibility, particularly for road trips.
Installation of an outlet is dead simple and usually less expensive as well.

The minor reduction in amperage is more than offset by flexibility, particularly for road trips.
Installation of an outlet is dead simple and usually less expensive as well.
Of course. Install a wall charger for home and keep a mobile charger in the car for trips. It's unlikely to be an either / or choice for anyone at this vehicle's price point.

The outlet is the sticking point for many ... to do it up to code and with a good level of reliability is nearly as costly as the wall connector itself, but without any of the wall connector's benefits.

Of course. Install a wall charger for home and keep a mobile charger in the car for trips. It's unlikely to be an either / or choice for anyone at this vehicle's price point.

The outlet is the sticking point for many ... to do it up to code and with a good level of reliability is nearly as costly as the wall connector itself, but without any of the wall connector's benefits.
WC is as much fashion statement as anything else.
A MC works for both home and travel.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H and flai54

I have been rolling around with a mobile connector in my trunk for just under 5 years, and have used it less than 10 times, and ALL of those times were by choice at someones house "because I could" not because there was any need to at all.

So, yeah I think a lot of people over estimate the need for a mobile connector, especially as installing the outlet for it is not much cheaper, if done properly, and starting from "I have nothing".

If one already has an outlet they want to use, like an existing 240V outlet, then sure. As a first choice? A lot of people overestimate the need for keeping something in the car at all times.

I have been rolling around with a mobile connector in my trunk for just under 5 years, and have used it less than 10 times, and ALL of those times were by choice at someones house "because I could" not because there was any need to at all.

So, yeah I think a lot of people over estimate the need for a mobile connector, especially as installing the outlet for it is not much cheaper, if done properly, and starting from "I have nothing".

If one already has an outlet they want to use, like an existing 240V outlet, then sure. As a first choice? A lot of people overestimate the need for keeping something in the car at all times.
The mobile is cheap, universal and comes in handy at times. It's worth it if you use it just a couple times a year. If it was double the price, I might have a different opinion. 🤔

Mine is in my garage as the primary charging device.
If I go on a road trip, it comes with me, but otherwise stays in the garage.
Simple, flexible, functional, fully charges car overnite at home or wherever.

Reactions: flai54