Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

15.5V battery and 12V PD laptop charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
My old car has a standard 12V battery and I charge my laptop by using a 12V PD 65W charger (USB-C)

I get a new Model Y on Thursday and have just read that they are 15.5V.

Does anyone know of a good PD charger that will plug into the 15.5V plug and power a laptop?

Thanks.

Even if the low voltage battery in the car is a newer 16V li-ion, my assumption is that the socket still remains rated at 12V (hence the universal 12V socket name) so it shouldn't be a problem at all.
Have you tried using your current charger?

Reactions: Js1977
Even if the low voltage battery in the car is a newer 16V li-ion, my assumption is that the socket still remains rated at 12V (hence the universal 12V socket name) so it shouldn't be a problem at all.
Have you tried using your current charger?
Your assumption is incorrect.
The cigarette lighter socket in cars with the new low voltage battery runs at ~15.5V

• Informative
Reactions: Roy B and Durzel
It's not unusual for the 12v socket in ICE cars to go up to 15v when the car is running cold and can go well above that if being jumped. Generally anything designed for the socket will have a bit of leeway because of this and generally should be able to run between 9 and 16v safely with maximums over this for limited amounts of time. Good quality equipment will usually use a DC regulator with a wide input range but cheap stuff, who knows.

You would need to check your specific device for supported input range.

Reactions: Haggy and boombap
You can also get 45w from the built in USB-C cables AFAIK. It's not 65 watts, but you'll find most laptops which have 65w adaptors will only draw that much in worst case scenarios (High load + charging battery).
Check the voltage rating on the existing adapter too.. Lots are 11-24v.