Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1500 Tesla Roadsters sold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recall max 2400 possible ever (based on their pre-purchase of gliders from Lotus) which would suggest mid-2012 at current 50/month. That would tie in with the expectation Model S starts to ship as Roadster winds down.

They open more and more showrooms, and get better and better at selling Roadsters only to run out of chassis.
Perhaps in a year we will start hearing "sorry we are all sold out on Roadsters, but can I interest you in a Model S?"

I'm sure all us owners hope for good resale values, but we all see the elephant in the room. The debut of the Model S is going to kill the Roadster resale value. Just wait. The day those Model S cars hit the street the Roadster values will plummet. There's probably about 1000 Roadster owners who have pre-ordered a Model S. All those people are going to get their Model S around the same time and most of them will probably be selling their Roadster when they get their Model S. So, what happens to Roadster resale values when 1000 used Roadster go up for sale all at the same time?

1000 Roadster owners buying a Model S seems like a very high estimate.
Are the "R" or "S" reservations at this link the ones of Roadster owners (assuming this is accurate and that many didn't order without ordering as a Roadster owner)?
Holding some resale value would be nice but I've always been more concerned just with Tesla continuing to exist so they can keep my Roadster running. The Model S looks like it will be a great car, but I like small convertible sports cars, so something like the Model S will have to wait for if I ever decide to own 2 cars.

Last edited:
I'm sure all us owners hope for good resale values, but we all see the elephant in the room. The debut of the Model S is going to kill the Roadster resale value. Just wait. The day those Model S cars hit the street the Roadster values will plummet. There's probably about 1000 Roadster owners who have pre-ordered a Model S. All those people are going to get their Model S around the same time and most of them will probably be selling their Roadster when they get their Model S. So, what happens to Roadster resale values when 1000 used Roadster go up for sale all at the same time?

Hmm... I made the same point back in November...
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...odel-S-or-do-you-plan-on-it?p=53073#post53073

Sooo... if you really want a Roadster but can't afford one yet, just wait a few years until the Model S comes out, and Tesla ends up with a whole bunch of cars it has to get rid of? Anyone else predict a quite rapid tumble of used Roadster values?

Are the "R" or "S" reservations at this link the ones of Roadster owners (assuming this is accurate and that many didn't order without ordering as a Roadster owner)

Roadster owners get "R" reservations. It's called the "friends and family list". I recall reading somewhere that the list includes up to 5 "friends and family" of each Roadster owner.

As higher mileage electric sports cars from Tesla and others come out -perhaps even faster!- the Roadster will seem "quaint" with it's 200 mile range and 4ish 0-60 times and limited top speed.

As a limited production car it will retain some value as the 2,900 will be all that exist, less from attrition. There must be some precedent here for some other similar car that's now a collectable. Problem is though, high value for a pristine Roadster may not return for another 30 years

I don't think the Roadster resale value will crash with the model S. The sedan just isn't a roadster. I think the Roadster will become a collectible for those in pristine condition and for those not in perfect shape I think will be an opportunity for some interesting customizations. i.e. when battery tech and electronic change, there will be some amazing modifications. Performance wise, the Roadster will compare with cars like the Mercedes AMG E-cell and real supercars. The carbon fiber body will continue to be a unique aspect for sometime IMO. When Tesla produces the next convertable it will be on the S platform and I don't see that matching the Roadster. If you think super car first, electric second, the Roadster will stay unique for sometime.

As higher mileage electric sports cars from Tesla and others come out -perhaps even faster!- the Roadster will seem "quaint" with it's 200 mile range and 4ish 0-60 times and limited top speed.

As a limited production car it will retain some value as the 2,900 will be all that exist, less from attrition. There must be some precedent here for some other similar car that's now a collectable. Problem is though, high value for a pristine Roadster may not return for another 30 years

This probably makes the most sense. The values will drop and bottom out before going back up. This process takes time, and happens with a lot of limited production cars.

The biggest factor is Tesla staying in business.

So who here bought their Roadster for resale value?...I bought mine for pure (guilt free) driving joy...the resale value of this vehicle means little to me as I'm having so much fun driving it (even in the winter), I doubt that I'd part with it.

There is a huge difference between the Roadster & the Model S...a Model S can be a totally functional family vehicle for an infinitely larger market segment than the Roadster can...not meaning to sound elitist, but I had to have a Model S because it works for my family and makes total sense...I did not have to get a Roadster (but I'm sure as he!! happy I have one.)

Last edited: