TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

1500 Tesla Roadsters sold

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Doug_G, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

2. Dragon

Dragon Lightning Green Fairytale

OMG, leave one for me please!

3. Fr23shjive

Fr23shjive Member

According to their financial statements they had 1,350 Roadsters sold on Sept. 30, 2010. Looks like they're selling about 50 Roadsters per month. Not bad, not bad at all.

4. AndrewBissell

AndrewBissell Member

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

So when do they pull the plug?

6. AndrewBissell

AndrewBissell Member

I recall max 2400 possible ever (based on their pre-purchase of gliders from Lotus) which would suggest mid-2012 at current 50/month. That would tie in with the expectation Model S starts to ship as Roadster winds down.

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Actually, I suspect you were bang on. The press release says "Tesla Motors has delivered more than 1,500 Roadsters worldwide". They obviously saved the announcement for the motor show.

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

They open more and more showrooms, and get better and better at selling Roadsters only to run out of chassis.
    Perhaps in a year we will start hearing "sorry we are all sold out on Roadsters, but can I interest you in a Model S?"

9. strider

strider Active Member

When I bought #1098 my salesperson told me they were going to build 2,900 Roadsters and then shut it down.

10. strider

strider Active Member

Good news for resale values!

11. tennis_trs

tennis_trs 2010 2.0 Roadster Sport

#11 tennis_trs, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
    1000 Roadster owners buying a Model S seems like a very high estimate.
    Are the "R" or "S" reservations at this link the ones of Roadster owners (assuming this is accurate and that many didn't order without ordering as a Roadster owner)?
    Holding some resale value would be nice but I've always been more concerned just with Tesla continuing to exist so they can keep my Roadster running. The Model S looks like it will be a great car, but I like small convertible sports cars, so something like the Model S will have to wait for if I ever decide to own 2 cars.

12. mattjs33

mattjs33 Member

Hmm... I made the same point back in November...
    http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/4694-Have-you-reserved-your-Model-S-or-do-you-plan-on-it?p=53073#post53073

Sooo... if you really want a Roadster but can't afford one yet, just wait a few years until the Model S comes out, and Tesla ends up with a whole bunch of cars it has to get rid of? Anyone else predict a quite rapid tumble of used Roadster values?

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Roadster owners get "R" reservations. It's called the "friends and family list". I recall reading somewhere that the list includes up to 5 "friends and family" of each Roadster owner.

14. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

Yes, used roadster prices will probably drop. A new roadster design using the Model S platform will also hurt values.

15. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

That's an amazing feat given the economic down turn. Tesla Motors continue to amaze us.

16. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

As higher mileage electric sports cars from Tesla and others come out -perhaps even faster!- the Roadster will seem "quaint" with it's 200 mile range and 4ish 0-60 times and limited top speed.

As a limited production car it will retain some value as the 2,900 will be all that exist, less from attrition. There must be some precedent here for some other similar car that's now a collectable. Problem is though, high value for a pristine Roadster may not return for another 30 years

17. jaanton

jaanton Roadster NA #1026

I don't think the Roadster resale value will crash with the model S. The sedan just isn't a roadster. I think the Roadster will become a collectible for those in pristine condition and for those not in perfect shape I think will be an opportunity for some interesting customizations. i.e. when battery tech and electronic change, there will be some amazing modifications. Performance wise, the Roadster will compare with cars like the Mercedes AMG E-cell and real supercars. The carbon fiber body will continue to be a unique aspect for sometime IMO. When Tesla produces the next convertable it will be on the S platform and I don't see that matching the Roadster. If you think super car first, electric second, the Roadster will stay unique for sometime.

18. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

This probably makes the most sense. The values will drop and bottom out before going back up. This process takes time, and happens with a lot of limited production cars.

The biggest factor is Tesla staying in business.

19. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

#19 Jaff, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
    So who here bought their Roadster for resale value?...I bought mine for pure (guilt free) driving joy...the resale value of this vehicle means little to me as I'm having so much fun driving it (even in the winter), I doubt that I'd part with it.

There is a huge difference between the Roadster & the Model S...a Model S can be a totally functional family vehicle for an infinitely larger market segment than the Roadster can...not meaning to sound elitist, but I had to have a Model S because it works for my family and makes total sense...I did not have to get a Roadster (but I'm sure as he!! happy I have one.)

20. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

i'll second Jaff's comments. I am not planning to sell the Roadster.