Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" vs 20" wheels+tires for Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to a DiscountTire shop to get new tires for my 2022 Tesla Model 3 performance. I spoke with a friendly team member about everything from tires to how a pothole ruined 3 of my Uberturbine wheels. After narrowing down specific tires for about 35 minutes we came up with this:
The reason for this selection is because I wanted something for all season instead of summer tires that Tesla strictly offers on my car. I also wanted a little bit of a comfortable ride so going from 20 inches to 19 shouldn't be a bad thing right? Plus what are your thoughts or experience on this tire?

I am planning to getting these installed next Thursday, so good idea of selection or bad idea?

I have a M3P too, 20s are functionally stupid, only reason to have these are if you like the look which I don't. Perform worse at the track than smaller wheels, more likely to get damaged, hurt range.

18s are actually the most functional, I have my all weather cross climate 2s in this size. Also will give the best range. You cant use the Tesla 18 rim but most aftermarkets will fit. They still are bigger rims with smaller tires than most vehicles on the road so they can look great, I was worried it would look small and dorky but they don't at all.

If you prefer 19s that is fine too. Will sacrifice a small bit of range. Still way more wheel protection than the stock uberterbines with the stretched tire.

I'd personally go with 245 width with either 18 or 19 as it gives a bit more tire, looks better and reduces wheel gap. You'll get more range at stock 235 width though.

All these range comments are likely within 5-10% of stock so not a huge factor but maybe for some people it matters more.

I have a M3P too, 20s are functionally stupid, only reason to have these are if you like the look which I don't. Perform worse at the track than smaller wheels, more likely to get damaged, hurt range.

18s are actually the most functional, I have my all weather cross climate 2s in this size. Also will give the best range. You cant use the Tesla 18 rim but most aftermarkets will fit. They still are bigger rims with smaller tires than most vehicles on the road so they can look great, I was worried it would look small and dorky but they don't at all.

If you prefer 19s that is fine too. Will sacrifice a small bit of range. Still way more wheel protection than the stock uberterbines with the stretched tire.

I'd personally go with 245 width with either 18 or 19 as it gives a bit more tire, looks better and reduces wheel gap. You'll get more range at stock 235 width though.

All these range comments are likely within 5-10% of stock so not a huge factor but maybe for some people it matters more.
So I should do the 19 inches ?

I have rhe 19s due to needing the vehicle quick
No regrets
In fact like switching between two looks
Centers switched to all silver $16
1690311526414.png

Hard to find Uber caps, Yeslak
1690311582731.png

• Love
Reactions: JPInnovative
So I should do the 19 inches ?

Personally I would, I'd never go with 20's.

But if anyone wants the 20's for the looks that's a personal decision. There is no functional benefit to 20's.

If I had to get 20's I'd at least get 245/35 or 255/35 instead of the stock 235/35. That would get a bit more tire, avoid damaging rims, and fill in wheel gap.

Funny as I write this and see my profile with the shot of the 20's lol. Those came stock with the M3P and Tesla doesn't allow any other size. I have all weather tires in 18's I have mostly had on the vehicle, plus 19's I'm trying to decide what tire to buy so I can use on the track.

Reactions: JPInnovative
Personally I would, I'd never go with 20's.

But if anyone wants the 20's for the looks that's a personal decision. There is no functional benefit to 20's.

If I had to get 20's I'd at least get 245/35 or 255/35 instead of the stock 235/35. That would get a bit more tire, avoid damaging rims, and fill in wheel gap.

Funny as I write this and see my profile with the shot of the 20's lol. Those came stock with the M3P and Tesla doesn't allow any other size. I have all weather tires in 18's I have mostly had on the vehicle, plus 19's I'm trying to decide what tire to buy so I can use on the track.
Personally I'd do the 19 inches. because I want a comfortable ride..

Update!
Instead of the Yokahama tires I went with Michellen Cross climate tires and I have been pretty happy.

I have these as my 2nd set at 235/45r18 and love them. Best tire I've ever had for heavy snow/ice usage that also has all season flexibility. When we have 90 degree winter days in texas I can never use a full winter tire.

But ideally I'd prefer to have a summer tire if not used when cold, snow tire if only used in cold, or all season if rarely used in cold. The cross climate performs worse than all 3 of those in their respective use cases. But the CC2 has more flexibility than any of them.

I have these as my 2nd set at 235/45r18 and love them. Best tire I've ever had for heavy snow/ice usage that also has all season flexibility. When we have 90 degree winter days in texas I can never use a full winter tire.

But ideally I'd prefer to have a summer tire if not used when cold, snow tire if only used in cold, or all season if rarely used in cold. The cross climate performs worse than all 3 of those in their respective use cases. But the CC2 has more flexibility than any of them.
Do you have any pictures with the 235/45r18's? I am considering but seems like quite a lot of sidewall. Do you notice handling differences from the 20's? I don't feel any sidewall flex on high speed turns with my 235/35r20's. My winters are pretty light and want my all-season tires to be able to have a lot of fun too.

Update!
Instead of the Yokahama tires I went with Michellen Cross climate tires and I have been pretty happy.

So you went with the 235/40r19 Cross Climate 2's? Having the M3P do they affect your launch? Do you get any slip on launches? Those have a B traction rating. I hear a lot of good things about those tires from a lot of people but I don't want to lose my low 3's 0-60 times.

Do you have any pictures with the 235/45r18's? I am considering but seems like quite a lot of sidewall. Do you notice handling differences from the 20's? I don't feel any sidewall flex on high speed turns with my 235/35r20's. My winters are pretty light and want my all-season tires to be able to have a lot of fun too.
Its the exact stock tire size for the 18" aero wheels. Its the snow picture in my profile but also here, sorry I don't have great pictures of the tires/wheels. These wheels are knockoff zero G Tesla wheels but in 18" and make it look like much less sidewall. I think the 20's look kind of ridiculous with tiny sidewall and these still look very sport but not silly. The tires shocked me how great they were as I never lost traction and was still crazy fast. If you want to push performance closer to the max I'd go with 18/19" and summer tires though.

PXL_20230317_003640162.jpg

PXL_20230317_003640162 s.jpg

So you went with the 235/40r19 Cross Climate 2's? Having the M3P do they affect your launch? Do you get any slip on launches? Those have a B traction rating. I hear a lot of good things about those tires from a lot of people but I don't want to lose my low 3's 0-60 times.
I have the 235/45r18 cross climate 2's. I highly doubt there is any performance difference vs the same tire in 19's. The M3P launch was still crazy fast so you'd need a timer to probably tell the difference. I still have no slip just like the stock 20's. Yes I thought the B traction rating would've sacrificed more but it still was one of the craziest fast cars I've ever had compared to BMW and such.

However the biggest advantage to these tires is they are all seasons with a snow tire 3 peak rating. I use these primarily in winter if I could hit snow and on ski trips. I have other tires/wheels for other uses. If I didn't need as critical of snow/ice performance I'd get a higher performance all season such as Michelin ASPS4 or Continental DWS 06 plus.

You could run these full time on a M3P and yes its still crazy fast but personally my opinion is whats the point of having such a max performance vehicle and not close to max performance tires.

Reactions: shimmy

I never noticed sidewall flex on those cc2 18's or the stock 20's. However its hard to push it far on streets, and when I went to the track I put on the 20s.

Its the exact stock tire size for the 18" aero wheels. Its the snow picture in my profile but also here, sorry I don't have great pictures of the tires/wheels. These wheels are knockoff zero G Tesla wheels but in 18" and make it look like much less sidewall. I think the 20's look kind of ridiculous with tiny sidewall and these still look very sport but not silly. The tires shocked me how great they were as I never lost traction and was still crazy fast. If you want to push performance closer to the max I'd go with 18/19" and summer tires though.

View attachment 967583

View attachment 967584
Thanks! Yeah, they don't look too bad sidewall wise. Still pretty sporty looking. I'm still debating but need to decide soon, it'll be cold before I know it. I agree on the summer tires but unfortunately I live in Michigan so I always switch my tires to an ultra high performance all-season tire from Oct to April, I live in a big city so I see pavement 95% of the winter, and I don't go outdoor adventuring so no need for winter tires. I've just never had a Tesla before. As far as pushing close to the max, I actually hit .01 under Tesla's claimed (roll out) 3.1 second 0-60 on my very first Dragy attempt with the stock summer Pirelli P Zero Elect 235/35/20's. And have been able to pretty much duplicate 3.1s (with rollout) quite regularly.

Attachments

• IMG_9427.PNG
    IMG_9427.PNG
    284 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: MacO512