Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st road trip in any Tesla - Colder weather - Range / Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all -
Well I got bit hard by the Tesla bug. I bought my first Tesla at the end of September (M3) and now heading from Chicago to Denver to pickup a Model X and drive it back.

I haven't even done a real road trip in the Model 3 and so I will be jumping in feet first for the 1000 mile drive with the X from Denver to Chicago.

I've been looking at A Better Route Planner and seem to have a good idea of what to expect, but there is one question that I just can't seem to answer.

Will the built-in onboard Tesla navigation take into account the colder weather outside? There seems to be one leg between superchargers that ABRP wants me to stay under 68mph. My biggest concern (range anxiety) is whether or not the software is updating in real-time to changing conditions?

I appreciate the help... I'm sure it's no big deal, but I'm just trying to get an understanding how the unknown as people discuss 30/50% range hit for colder weather, heater, etc.

Hi all -
Well I got bit hard by the Tesla bug. I bought my first Tesla at the end of September (M3) and now heading from Chicago to Denver to pickup a Model X and drive it back.

I haven't even done a real road trip in the Model 3 and so I will be jumping in feet first for the 1000 mile drive with the X from Denver to Chicago.

I've been looking at A Better Route Planner and seem to have a good idea of what to expect, but there is one question that I just can't seem to answer.

Will the built-in onboard Tesla navigation take into account the colder weather outside? There seems to be one leg between superchargers that ABRP wants me to stay under 68mph. My biggest concern (range anxiety) is whether or not the software is updating in real-time to changing conditions?

I appreciate the help... I'm sure it's no big deal, but I'm just trying to get an understanding how the unknown as people discuss 30/50% range hit for colder weather, heater, etc.
Curious what is your planned route? I've taken the I70 and I80 route almost coast to coast 4 times now. One of them was in the dead of winter and I didn't have any issues. I did notice as I went along it seemed to recalculate fairly often and a couple of times it told me to drive under 70 mph or take an earlier supercharger stop. Fortunately, the sc are closely spaced enough that I had no trouble at all. I was in an X100 and heater was often on.

I've noticed that it does change the expected battery % at the destination according to the current power consumption, so if you're driving at 80mph in 30 degrees with the cabin temp set to 82, it might start out saying you'll arrive with 25% but that will soon drop to 15% or whatever delta the extra consumption is causing you. The nav will also tell you to reduce speed if it doesn't think you'll make it.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Curious what is your planned route? I've taken the I70 and I80 route almost coast to coast 4 times now. One of them was in the dead of winter and I didn't have any issues. I did notice as I went along it seemed to recalculate fairly often and a couple of times it told me to drive under 70 mph or take an earlier supercharger stop. Fortunately, the sc are closely spaced enough that I had no trouble at all. I was in an X100 and heater was often on.

76 to 80.

Planning on stopping in Omaha/Counsel Bluffs to sleep. Never thought I would have to breakup the drive from Denver to Chicago, but it looks like I'll be adding 4-5 hours in charging and not sure that I can still knock out a 20 hour drive in one-day...

Doesn't look like Omaha has any hotels with destination chargers and nothing much on Plugshare. That is too bad. I was planning on charging up to about 90% in Counsel Bluffs (super charger) for the night. Then hit the road early in the morning.

Anyone recommend hitting the super charger in the morning to help heat up the battery pack while I go get coffee/food before starting my second leg? I

76 to 80.

not sure that I can still knock out a 20 hour drive in one-day...

Anyone recommend hitting the super charger in the morning to help heat up the battery pack while I go get coffee/food before starting my second leg? I

Wow, that would be tough to do 20 hours in one day. At my senior age, I don't like those long days of driving. On long trips I usually average about 500-600 miles in a day because of time stopping to charge, eating, and resting. And yes, I would usually charge up near 100% in the morning while I have breakfast, especially on really cold mornings. It's a bit better for the battery if you do it that way instead of charging full at night and waiting several hours before driving. I try to avoid having the battery sit at near full for long periods of time.

Oh, and maybe I should add that on most of my trips going through Kansas, the wind always seem to work against me and decreased my range. I didn't realize how strong the wind was out there. Mostly a problem on my summer trips though. If you are lucky, then wind works with you.

The nav takes into account the last 30 miles or so of driving as far as I know. That's great if conditions stay consistent. It was very accurate on our last long trip. But if you hit a Supercharger and then it starts raining or a headwind picks up the nav won't know until you've driven up to 30 more miles. You may see the percent charge at destination drop like a rock. That's when you have to slow down. (And we saw the rain coming and charged extra! Still needed to slow.)