Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get software updates while on a long road trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a rural WA area with no WiFi. I’m about to go on an 8,000 mile two month road trip, and need a full software update including FSD beta. We have good internet available at all our libraries, but Tesla chooses to not allow connecting to systems requiring a log-on (it would be easy: all phones allow this). It turns out parking outside a Tesla dealer doesn’t help, as they require signin! I call Tesla and they say the only way is to make a service appointment, where they’ll plug you in. However, I requested such a service from my local dealership, and they won’t reply or schedule.

Does anyone have a solutions for this that work? A full update can be 2Gb apparently. This would seem a common issue while traveling away from home.

You don’t need to sign in at Tesla locations, you just need the WiFi password, which they’ll provide. It might even be the same at all Tesla locations, but I don’t know. There are sone superchargers that have WiFi, which your car will automatically connect to.

Assuming you have LTE coverage, is your car telling you there’s an update available? If not, connecting to WiFi won’t do anything.

Is your lack of WiFi at home a choice, or do you really not have the option to get WiFi? I didn’t think there were many places in the US where you couldn’t get WiFi by some means at this point. If you can’t get it by other means, have you looked at StarLink?

Reactions: zoomer0056
I just returned from a 12 thousand mile trip. Did two updates during the trip. One downloaded while supercharging, many locations now have wifi that the car automatically connects to. The other I downloaded over my cell tether.

I live in a rural WA area with no WiFi. I’m about to go on an 8,000 mile two month road trip, and need a full software update including FSD beta. We have good internet available at all our libraries, but Tesla chooses to not allow connecting to systems requiring a log-on (it would be easy: all phones allow this). It turns out parking outside a Tesla dealer doesn’t help, as they require signin! I call Tesla and they say the only way is to make a service appointment, where they’ll plug you in. However, I requested such a service from my local dealership, and they won’t reply or schedule.

Does anyone have a solutions for this that work? A full update can be 2Gb apparently. This would seem a common issue while traveling away from home.
You don't need it. The updater will nag you to connect, but if you don't the car will use it's own celluar data plan to update; I personally have *never* connected to wifi and have received multiple updates while out of range of any Tesla wifi such as at a supercharger. Tesla would just rather you pay for the connectivity than them.

Last edited:
There's no guarantee Tesla decides to eventually push the update over cellular though. At a minimum you'll be waiting a lot longer to get an update (and if that is ok, then just don't update at all on the trip)

Updating software during a trip can be a burden, so it's best to check the release notes for any new version to see if it's worth the trouble. Most updates for non-FSD cars bring few critical changes, so updating can usually be postponed until you return from the trip or have a convenient opportunity. It's not like the car is going to stop working if you don't update.

Buy a pocket router. There is a dope one for like $100 that handles the portals and such and then pushes the NAT connections without having to need it. Lots of youtube vids on these for hotel goers to share their connection with devices that don't like captive portals like apple TV's et. Al.

• Helpful
There's no guarantee Tesla decides to eventually push the update over cellular though. At a minimum you'll be waiting a lot longer to get an update (and if that is ok, then just don't update at all on the trip)
Respectfully, this is not correct. Tesla *does* guarantee updates, so the cellular method is least preferred but will eventually happen; it is not a courtesy push.

It usually nags for almost a week before it silently relents. Read the linked article which says the second SIM is specifically installed just for updates.

I stand corrected I guess. I thought Tesla only resorted to sending updates over cell phone connection for safety related fixes
We are probably saying the same thing. My assumption is that all or nearly all updates contained at least some safety upgrades and could default to that channel as necessary due to legal reasons. I know Windows offers optional feature fixes, but he critical updates are mandatory and happen without user intervention.

Reactions: gsmith123

I'm sorry your dealer is treating you that way. We use the guest wifi at our two local ones. We were happily given the login details and, as we park at the back of the building under a router for best signal, we've had them walk by and invite us in for a coffee or washrooms if we want.

Once you have the login info, you should be able to login at any time so do it when they are closed (we did our 2020 update on Christmas Day - effin lockdowns meaning there was nothing else to do.)

You don’t need to sign in at Tesla locations, you just need the WiFi password, which they’ll provide. It might even be the same at all Tesla locations, but I don’t know. There are sone superchargers that have WiFi, which your car will automatically connect to.

Assuming you have LTE coverage, is your car telling you there’s an update available? If not, connecting to WiFi won’t do anything.

Is your lack of WiFi at home a choice, or do you really not have the option to get WiFi? I didn’t think there were many places in the US where you couldn’t get WiFi by some means at this point. If you can’t get it by other means, have you looked at StarLink?
TDS is our only wired internet source, via phone lines, in rural Washington, and they are so expensive and bad I finally quit them. We are in an odd spot that Starlink doesn’t serve, plus now you can’t suspend it and as I am abroad 6 months a year, it’s pricey. I’m going to try the ‘travel router’ solution when we return.

• Disagree
Reactions: drb3333