TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

1UP bike rack with 4 bikes barely fits for Supercharging

Discussion in 'Model X' started by mikevbf, Sep 1, 2018.

1. mikevbf

mikevbf Active Member

This has probably been covered, but I just got back from a beach trip with 4 bikes on a 1UP and was able to supercharge just barely without having to take bikes or rack off (and no there was not enough space to pull sideways along the chargers):

IMG_2098.jpg

• Informative x 4
    • Helpful x 1
  2. zjfk2

zjfk2 Member

sometimes the Tesla only sign is placed right at the curb and you have to take bikes off and fold the rack up to charge. I have come across this a couple of times in the southeast.

3. Evoforce

Evoforce Member

Thanks for the info.

4. tc521

tc521 Member

I’m looking at the 1 Up rack currently but in only the 2 bike form. Based on this I’m feeling more positive about being able to supercharge with it attached.

Anyone have experience with the 2 bike setup and superchargering?

5. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

If you think a bike rack is bad try pulling a trailer for a major headache.

• Funny x 1
  6. masam

masam Member

@mikevbf - do you have the factory Tesla hitch ? (I do on my X). Was the weight of the 4 bikes and the 1UP carrier under 120 pounds ? I’m struggling with this situation as the weight of our 4 bikes alone is over 120, which for us makes the hitch useless as a bike carrier. I’d be interested in hearing your experience with this. Thanks !

7. Bogobec

Bogobec Member

Don't have my X yet, but your comment made me worry and I searched the user manual to make sure.

upload_2018-9-4_11-47-53.png

Depending on your wheel base, you should be able to have up to 500pound Tongue Weight.

8. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Active Member

yikes I'm surprised it can handle 4

9. mikevbf

mikevbf Active Member

this issue has been discussed a lot. Just use the search term "bike rack" in the MX forums. I decided the reason Tesla specified 120 pounds was to be cautious as advised by their lawyers. Still I will admit despite the 1UP being by far more sturdy than any other bike rack I have ever owned (especially as regard zero jiggle factor), all that weight hanging out that far away from the car is demanding. I noticed the bikes bounced over bumps a little more than I was comfortable. So I took it easy and hundreds of miles later so far so good ... I will definitely report back if this setup ever gives me significant issues.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  10. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Using your rear camera gives a great feeling of security when towing like this.

Was surprised how rock steady things were when I used a hitch mounted tray.

11. masam

masam Member

@Bogobec - Check out this post Trailer vs. Bike Carrier
    According to the instructions/warnings printed on the hitch itself, the maximum tongue weight is 121 pounds with two bikes. Not trying to hijack the thread here. I'm just as confused as others and trying to figure out whether it's safe to carry bikes. As was mentioned earlier, there are many discussions about this but no conclusive answer other than buyer beware :(

12. Bogobec

Bogobec Member

Thanks! I'm going to have a look at this post. Especially because now that we can't mount anything on the roof because of the falcon wings (unless I try to do some setup with Seasucker mount, and half roof racks), then I'm interested in things like this too: StowAway Cargo Carriers - Versatility in Action.

13. macacovelho

macacovelho 2018 X100D

I bought the Yakima Tilt, pretty much the same rack as the Tesla one, but cheaper (around 350.00) Love it so far! Only used it with 2 bikes, but it's very stable and sturdy. When I'm not using it, it stores neatly on the bottom part of the trunk. I leave the hitch mount always on.

BlackXTow.jpg