Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 for 1 Model X 100D - Zero compromise? What's your story?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what should Tesla do to refine their FWD in your opinion? X is a very new and "beta" what the world can offer as premium high tech SUV, I do believe there's room to improve.
I don’t think the shape of the door is ideal from a UI perspective. The bottom-front corner of the door (the black rub strip that meets the driver’s door) is simply too sharp and protrudes too much when in motion. It’s the only part of the FWD that actually bothers me. People are acutely (pun intended) of sharp object near their bodies, especially near their head or face. The cut line of the door junction between the driver’s door and the FWD just leads to a sharp point flying through the air at head height.

I think they could have perhaps found a way to taper the door or cut it off a bit higher like where the paint meets the plastic or at least round the corner, to make for a narrower edge flying out. They designed the car to avoid the normal bottom door cut line but it makes the door longer/wider when in action. I had a Ford Flex and they designed the doors to wrap under the rocker panel to avoid a cut line. It looked better but it created a corner that you could occasionally bang on your shin because of the shape.

I don’t think the shape of the door is ideal from a UI perspective. The bottom-front corner of the door (the black rub strip that meets the driver’s door) is simply too sharp and protrudes too much when in motion. It’s the only part of the FWD that actually bothers me. People are acutely (pun intended) of sharp object near their bodies, especially near their head or face. The cut line of the door junction between the driver’s door and the FWD just leads to a sharp point flying through the air at head height.

While I do agree with this in principle, in reality it causes me no issues at all. There are so many sharp objects in real life, that you learn to live with them without getting hurt. You have to take care of course and if they could make the corner less sharp without compromising the design then of course it would be a good thing. But I certainly wouldn't put off a prospective buyer because of this potential issue. I haven't heard of anyone hurting themselves on a FWD, but I'm sure if I googled it........

Yeah. I don’t have a good sense for what the solution is. Perhaps it’s also the shape of the door. That front corner could be rounded or perhaps taper in more. When I open the driver’s side FWD and my door at the same time, which I do multiple times a day, I have to step out of the car but be aware of where the pointy front corner of the FWD is at all times. It passes right by my face if I get out too early.
The special "see-through metal" ultrasonic sensors are embedded in the FWD doors. The driver and passenger doors do not have any sensors. So, when you instruct the car to open the passenger/driver's door, it uses the FWD sensors to determine if there are any obstacles.

If you're wife is standing next to the FWD, then it suspects that there is an obstacle there and hence open cautiously. Ironically, if your wife stood in front of the passenger door, it would not "see" any obstacles and open right into her. I typically open the door while my wife is in front of the passenger door so that it opens completely. It's never fast or hard, so if my wife is still in the way, she can easily catch the door and stop it. But most times, she is already past the door and simply walks in.

Of course, all this is assuming that they haven't changed the design (I know they added an additional sensor in the FWD door to prevent it closing on passengers).

Also, there is an additional sensor on the roof in between the two FWDs that is used to limit how high the doors can open.

The special "see-through metal" ultrasonic sensors are embedded in the FWD doors. The driver and passenger doors do not have any sensors. So, when you instruct the car to open the passenger/driver's door, it uses the FWD sensors to determine if there are any obstacles.

If you're wife is standing next to the FWD, then it suspects that there is an obstacle there and hence open cautiously. Ironically, if your wife stood in front of the passenger door, it would not "see" any obstacles and open right into her. I typically open the door while my wife is in front of the passenger door so that it opens completely. It's never fast or hard, so if my wife is still in the way, she can easily catch the door and stop it. But most times, she is already past the door and simply walks in.

Of course, all this is assuming that they haven't changed the design (I know they added an additional sensor in the FWD door to prevent it closing on passengers).

Also, there is an additional sensor on the roof in between the two FWDs that is used to limit how high the doors can open.
That's for the comment but I'm not sure how it related to what I said.

[QUOTE="what's your story with your first Tesla as your main personal/family car? and how many of you have gone cold turkey like us? We wish we'd be able to afford a second X in the future just because of the accessibility for our kids with the big doors.

Is it truly zero compromise for you?[/QUOTE]

I did a 2 for 1 last year with an X75D. I traded in my 2016 Hyundai Sonata PHEV that I use for my consulting work (mainly 4-6 long 2000km trips during the year) AND I didn't purchase the replacement farm pickup truck for my 2002 2500HD Duramax that I was supposed to purchase. In recent years, my pickup truck need were more hauling trailers with equipment, machinery and maple syrup barrels on them so I didn't need that big of a truck.

I did the math and the payment were about the same for an X (at Tesla's 1.99% interest) that both payments for my current car and the pickup I was about to purchase. Plus I had only one plate, one insurance, almost no maintenance and no gas.

I don't suffer from range anxiety at all even with a X75D during the winter hauling a trailer. There are enough superchargers and DC Fast Chargers everywhere in my province to manage that. There are compromises like, for example, the fact that I'm a little more careful on dirt roads with my X than with my pickup but they are all easily manageable for now.

This photo was taken after a 375km afternoon run in the beginning of March 2018 to get a double oven commercial range and 6 new stainless steel barrel for my then upcoming season. I was unloading my loot in my sugar shack.

Attachments

• IMG_20180309_180910.jpg
    IMG_20180309_180910.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 65
Just ordered the X100D at a local Tesla store. Trading in both wife's Lexus IS350 and my 2017 Nissan Armada, 3.5L + 5.6L of ICE. A little nervous! Have a feeling we are losing flexibility & possibility of longer road trips in the future.

what's your story with your first Tesla as your main personal/family car? and how many of you have gone cold turkey like us? We wish we'd be able to afford a second X in the future just because of the accessibility for our kids with the big doors.

Is it truly zero compromise for you?

Ok, since I was forced to drop my trade in already, almost three months before delivery, how are you going to get around?

/b