Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 front tires need to be replaced after only 10k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a brand new model S Feb 2020 with Continental 245/35 zr 21 96y low profile tires. Rear tires are fine, but front tires both show extreme wear even though the car has very low mileage. I live in North Carolina and have taken minimal road trips. I think this wear is unreasonable but curious what others experience/think. I'm going to need two new tires.

I could see them wearing out at 15k - 20k, but 10k seems very low mileage. Occasionally on all new cars, even on Tesla, the alignment is out on delivery. It sure sounds like you have an alignment problem. Some new car warranties will adjust the alignment for you during the first 12 months 12k miles. I doubt Tesla would fix new car alignment issues for that long. The tires likely will not be covered though. Get a tire tread depth gauge and check your tires occasionally when you adjust the pressures.

I may have the same issue as the OP. I have a 2020 MS with 11.5K miles. I haven't yet rotated my tires. A couple of days ago a service tech measured the front tread at 3 - 4 mm, whereas both back tires have 6 mm tread. Alignment probably isn't the issue, since the wear is even. I asked the tech if he recommended rotation, and he said that usually you want to have the tires with more meat on the rear, so he said not to rotate. Or, if I really want, I could dismount the two front tires and swap them side to side, but the wear pattern suggests doing otherwise.

I'm not at all hard on the car. Lifetime efficiency is 266 wh/mile, and I hardly ever punch it or steer aggressively. Go figure.

I'm glad your service tech at desk knows something, mines dumber than a rock, and tells lies at every chance. If you need an alignment go to any shop that has a Hunter Elite. My local guy was thrilled I took my car there. It was fun to see him type in all car information, put on attachments, he found I had a worn tie rod end. I changed it and went back. It cost $70 , not $180.
Back to tire wear. I'm on my 5th set of tires. This car is very heavy,5000 lbs. The tire wear rating is important when you buy replacement. I remember mine are 102y I think. I have two sets of tires,. One 300km rated summer set. One M&S set. I get my tires from tire rack. Tesla ask $500 per tire, insane price. My summer tires last longer, yes they are loud, turn up the radio. My front tires worn out fast on first few sets. I took notice, slowed down on corners if possible.