Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Hour Super Charging & Service Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings All

Have my 85kw S for almost 6 years this coming December with about 180K miles. The only major issue i had was some sort of battery harness issue (expensive), another heating cooling issue covered by warranty, and now home charging failure. ( HPWC & Mobile Charger) Supercharger is my only option until i can get in for service.

My experience with super charging yesterday. Mojave SC is 125 kW and no one was sharing my stall. Started at 6:25 pm charging with 29 miles of range @ 97kW and 1hr 10min ETA. 6:32 pm with 60miles dropped down to 251 @ 74kW. 7:02 pm 138 miles 117 @ 34kW. 7:25 pm 1 hour since starting charge, 178 miles of range 97 @ 28kW with 40mins remaining. 8:01 211 mi 24@ 7kw 15mins remaining. 8:25 218 miles 12 @ 3kw 5 mins remaining. This was a very painful charging experience. Anyone else have any similar issues?

I have let the service center know about my charging concerns and they said everything is running normal. I asked every time every i go in for service and my last major they charge extra charge for battery checks but they were kind enough to waived that charge.
I keep wondering if there is some throttling for unlimited super charging? Or, maybe my battery is going bad? Anyway i'm not looking forward to that repair bill.

I didn't get any high priority when i told them i cant charge. Still waiting a call from Rachel from Burbank after leaving a message.

I will update my experience from the service center and charging after replacement.

Greetings All

Have my 85kw S for almost 6 years this coming December with about 180K miles. The only major issue i had was some sort of battery harness issue (expensive), another heating cooling issue covered by warranty, and now home charging failure. ( HPWC & Mobile Charger) Supercharger is my only option until i can get in for service.

My experience with super charging yesterday. Mojave SC is 125 kW and no one was sharing my stall. Started at 6:25 pm charging with 29 miles of range @ 97kW and 1hr 10min ETA. 6:32 pm with 60miles dropped down to 251 @ 74kW. 7:02 pm 138 miles 117 @ 34kW. 7:25 pm 1 hour since starting charge, 178 miles of range 97 @ 28kW with 40mins remaining. 8:01 211 mi 24@ 7kw 15mins remaining. 8:25 218 miles 12 @ 3kw 5 mins remaining. This was a very painful charging experience. Anyone else have any similar issues?

I have let the service center know about my charging concerns and they said everything is running normal. I asked every time every i go in for service and my last major they charge extra charge for battery checks but they were kind enough to waived that charge.
I keep wondering if there is some throttling for unlimited super charging? Or, maybe my battery is going bad? Anyway i'm not looking forward to that repair bill.

I didn't get any high priority when i told them i cant charge. Still waiting a call from Rachel from Burbank after leaving a message.

I will update my experience from the service center and charging after replacement.

See this:
Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

Reactions: gaswalla
How is the rest of the car behaving? Does the AC work reasonably? Did the louvers in the front grill open up? It was in the evening but what was the ambient temperature? Did you try moving to another stall when it started to taper? Were the car's fans running / was the rest of the car making much noise? While it could be tesla throttling your charging ability, it could also just be the car throttling the charging due to internal battery temperature. Or moonray saturation.

I know my car, when supercharging, sounds like a jet engine; seems much louder than the other cars in the neighbor stalls, but it still seems to charge at 100kw/h prior to tapering.

@cduzz

That's a good point about the on board chargers. I'm pretty sure they do go off when i first charge but i have to see how long the duration is. As far as the louvers, i just had them changed. I really havent looked if they open up. I will ask them at service center in Van Nuys. I have an appointment this Sunday. Rachel never called me back to reschedule my appointment though. Service and support really gone down hill. I should have listened to my instincts when they said a mobile repair could fix my internal charging unit. Ha....

My AC has also worked excellent to current with no issues. ambient temperature was pretty cool during that time.

I'll have to come up with questions for them regarding the SC. I feel like part is either failing or i'm being restricted, being grand father in to SC if i use it to much.

Regardless of everything happening, the car isn't charging like when i first received the car. Understanding of wear and tear, it still should be charging reasonable same rate. I just say replace the dam battery and be done with it.

OP - you really need to read that long thread. Your experience is well reported by many, many folks with original 85's (all battery types A-D). Have you noticed any change in reported range? overly quick summary: Tesla limited the voltage in the older 85 batteries after fires in China and Hong Kong. If you use TMSpy or other software, you can confirm that your car has been limited. Folks are experiencing decreased range, decreased power, and markedly decreased supercharging. Good news is that you are not alone, bad news is that it's probably worse than you realize

Its a decision that Tesla makes with there software that hopefully benefits everyone. Good or bad i'm not enjoying the results older S are having. With a mileage of 180,000 my range currently is about 220 miles for range charge. Avg charge 2 hours with minimal to no ac / no one sharing my stall < 200 miles. Yeah i'm sure if i purchase a new model S it will all go away but i like to keep my S for a long time. I love my Tesla, not to mention it was expensive. Service center states when i ask about my battery and charging "Everything is running normally". Just stating my observation with this single data point is probably going to happen to everyone that holds there S this long.