Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Newbie Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if i’m being thick!!

1. Went to first supercharger after collection and tried a “normal” supercharger and it didn’t work, had to move to one with CCS (waited 15 minutes for a Model 3 to leave). Have they locked them down so Model 3 can only use CCS enabled stalls?
  2. Every time I turned autopilot on (double push right stalk) it went off within seconds, does it need time to calibrate or am I doing something silly? This was on the motorway

The "Type 2" cable at superchargers is a Tesla specific one used by the the S and X for both slow (AC) and fast (DC) charging so it won't work on the Model 3 which uses CCS for DC and Type 2 for AC.

No supercharger Type 2 chargers, including destination chargers will work with the Model 3 however.

1. Went to first supercharger after collection and tried a “normal” supercharger and it didn’t work, had to move to one with CCS (waited 15 minutes for a Model 3 to leave). Have they locked them down so Model 3 can only use CCS enabled stalls?
  2. Every time I turned autopilot on (double push right stalk) it went off within seconds, does it need time to calibrate or am I doing something silly? This was on the motorway

1. Model 3 can only supercharge using the CCS connector, the 'type 2' connector is only for AC charging at destination chargers etc.

2. Not sure, as the Model S uses the small left stalk. If it is turning off, it should give a message as a reason.

It's an unfortunate happenstance that the bottom S/X cable at a supercharger also fits the M3 and also looks the same as your Tesla Mobile Charger. However, it's a Tesla proprietary standard, which delivers DC over what is otherwise an AC connector plug shape.

Take solace in the fact that a M3 can use public non-tesla CCS chargers without adapters/upgrade, whereas S/X need a CCS adapter and are, I believe, limited to 120KW when doing so.

The "Type 2" cable at superchargers is a Tesla specific one used by the the S and X for both slow (AC) and fast (DC) charging so it won't work on the Model 3 which uses CCS for DC and Type 2 for AC.

No supercharger Type 2 chargers, including destination chargers will work with the Model 3 however.

1. Model 3 can only supercharge using the CCS connector, the 'type 2' connector is only for AC charging at destination chargers etc.

2. Not sure, as the Model S uses the small left stalk. If it is turning off, it should give a message as a reason.

It's an unfortunate happenstance that the bottom S/X cable at a supercharger also fits the M3 and also looks the same as your Tesla Mobile Charger. However, it's a Tesla proprietary standard, which delivers DC over what is otherwise an AC connector plug shape.

Take solace in the fact that a M3 can use public non-tesla CCS chargers without adapters/upgrade, whereas S/X need a CCS adapter and are, I believe, limited to 120KW when doing so.

I think Daverh meant "Non-Supercharger..." rather than "No Supercharger..." above

That explains everything, thank you!!! Sorry for being stupid!!

Reactions: Roy W.
waited 15 minutes for a Model 3 to leave

I am sure you know this but ...

The Supercharger sites which have only been partially converted have 2 (or more) converted stalls, so there should have been a 2nd CCS stall you could have used. That may well have been occupied too, just that wasn't clear from your post and wanted to be sure you knew :)

The stalls will be adjacent (or, more correctly, labelled A & B - sometimes they are not physically next to each other)

what do you mean no type 2 wont work? so does that not limit model 3s to onlya few superchargers?

I am sure you know this but ...

The Supercharger sites which have only been partially converted have 2 (or more) converted stalls, so there should have been a 2nd CCS stall you could have used. That may well have been occupied too, just that wasn't clear from your post and wanted to be sure you knew :)

The stalls will be adjacent (or, more correctly, labelled A & B - sometimes they are not physically next to each other)

There was 4 CCS stalls and all in use - all with people who just collected from Birmingham, everyone had the same idea :)

Destination chargers are standard Type 2 plugs and will work with ANY Tesla model.

To add to which ... some Tesla (branded) Destination Chargers will work with any Type-2 EV ... well, all of them if you take the lid off and twiddle the DIP switches:)

The Tesla (branded) Destination Chargers with Red Signs are dedicated-Tesla, and the White signs are any-EV ... but dunno if the signage is totally reliable

Day 4 with shiny Model 3 - still loving it - arrived Woodall Services on M1 near Sheffield at about midnight.
Tried one of the charger leads and nothing. Phoned two numbers I found (not easily, I might add) one said try webchat in office hours (great!), so I tried ‘emergency roadside assistance’ - maybe not an emergency, but stick on M1 at midnight with two daughters, I tried it anyway.
Got a ‘we are busy helping others will be with you shortly’ message and decided after 7 minutes to hang up, drive back into main Services area where the big standard chargers were (back down the wrong way of services Exit lane I might add).

Slow charged for half an hour then limped home.

Absolutely fuming. Tempted to return my car, which I otherwise live to bits.

Why isn’t there an easy to find number for charging issues?!?! It’s the biggest fear together with why isn’t there someone to answer emergency roadside assistance calls immediately? Can’t imagine Tesla are inundated at midnight with emergencies or something is wrong.