Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 PWs coming where should be mount them

Install powerwalls on?

• Wall

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Floor

Votes: 16 53.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We were discussing this ourselves. Decided to go the garage floor route since this would allow us to add a third at a later date by stacking next to each other otherwise you’d need even more wall space with the appropriate clearance.

The side of the garage we plan for installation of equipment is “down slope” from our water heater. We asked if there was a water heater leak at some point if that location would pose a problem for the units but were assured it would not.

We were discussing this ourselves. Decided to go the garage floor route since this would allow us to add a third at a later date by stacking next to each other otherwise you’d need even more wall space with the appropriate clearance.

The side of the garage we plan for installation of equipment is “down slope” from our water heater. We asked if there was a water heater leak at some point if that location would pose a problem for the units but were assured it would not.

The Powerwall is rated IP67 for the battery and electronics, IP56 for the wiring compartment (https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/powerwall/Powerwall 2_AC_Datasheet_en_northamerica.pdf)

IP stands for "Immersion Protection", ranked on a scale for both solids (first digit) and liquids (second digit). IP67 means Dust Tight and Liquid Immersion up to 1 meter. Unless you have a water heater the size of an olympic swimming pool, it probably does not matter. :)

IP Rating Chart | DSMT.com

We have 2 powerwalls being installed in a couple of weeks in the garage. Should we mount them on the garage wall or floor?

They look really good on walls... not that they dont look good on the floor as well, but I love mine on the side wall of my garage, and I have room for 1 more there should I ever decide to do it.

It kind of depends on what the area looks like, if its in front of the cars or on the side (in front of the cars may require some sort of device to prevent cars from running into them), how much space you have on the side, etc.

I thought you already had a spot picked out for them that you were planning on using, though?

We have 2 powerwalls being installed in a couple of weeks in the garage. Should we mount them on the garage wall or floor?
Here is a picture of my floor mounted powerwalls.
Powerwall garage picture.jpg

Reactions: jjrandorin
PW_install.jpg

Here is a picture of the space we are working with and the projected space required for 2 PWs. The floor install is closest to garage door. For scale, the 2 wall mounted options protrude about 7" off the wall. But they are not pushed 2" away from the wall by the cement curb like the floor mounted option. The car is our Model 3 and shown in it's normal parking spot.

We originally were planning on mounting on the wall for visibility and cool factor. But now are wondering about the potential interference with the passenger side door of the car and amount of wall space used in the (unlikely?) event we decide we want to add a 3rd PW.

It is planned that the other boxes in the solar setup would be mounted on the outside of this wall about from the vertical blue tape toward the camera.

To make things more complex, we are planing on having this wall cleaned up and painted soon. But, the contractor will NOT be able to get out before the PWs are installed on March 3rd or so. We are hoping they can work around the PWs.

Attachments

• PW_install.jpg
    PW_install.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 54
View attachment 513851

Here is a picture of the space we are working with and the projected space required for 2 PWs. The floor install is closest to garage door. For scale, the 2 wall mounted options protrude about 7" off the wall. But they are not pushed 2" away from the wall by the cement curb like the floor mounted option. The car is our Model 3 and shown in it's normal parking spot.

We originally were planning on mounting on the wall for visibility and cool factor. But now are wondering about the potential interference with the passenger side door of the car and amount of wall space used in the (unlikely?) event we decide we want to add a 3rd PW.

It is planned that the other boxes in the solar setup would be mounted on the outside of this wall about from the vertical blue tape toward the camera.

To make things more complex, we are planing on having this wall cleaned up and painted soon. But, the contractor will NOT be able to get out before the PWs are installed on March 3rd or so. We are hoping they can work around the PWs.

If they wall mount them, it would be above that concrete lip (of course). I am not sure how they would feel about mounting it over that open drywall cutout. I know you said you were getting it repaired but if it wont be before the powerwalls they obviously couldnt patch it before hand.

I (like you) was a little concerned about car doors swinging into the powerwalls when my model 3 is next to them, but since I am the one who primarily drives the model 3, and also am the one that parks on that side of the garage, I am just a little careful and it hasnt been a problem so far. I just open my car door the same way I would in a parking lot parking space (gently), and I have room to get out. Of course this all depends on individual garage size, and ones individual size, etc.

Our installers were able to integrate the generation/Gateway panels in with the panel and runway that were already there for the house power. It was a tight fit, but they got everything to fit into a pretty small footprint outside, with only one conduit going to the side for the PowerWall connections and another one going straight up into the attic eve (no exposed conduit on the roof).
20200103_170140_resized.jpg
20191212_164509_resized_cropped.jpg

Reactions: jjrandorin
Our installers were able to integrate the generation/Gateway panels in with the panel and runway that were already there for the house power. It was a tight fit, but they got everything to fit into a pretty small footprint outside, with only one conduit going to the side for the PowerWall connections and another one going straight up into the attic eve (no exposed conduit on the roof).
View attachment 514241 View attachment 514244

The purist in me just wants to grab a master electrician and have him simplify that jumble of boxes.

I have something similar, and it drives me bonkers.