Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Placement in a Garage Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jeff Hudson

Lovin the Tesla Life
Oct 30, 2014
Hazel Green, AL
My garage is attached to the house which has a crawlspace and my garage walls are built upon concrete foundation block which is common. The actual wall surface is inset which creates a gap between the drywall surface and the floor of a few inches. I am looking for advice about mounting two Powerwalls. I believe I have a few options: #1 Wall mount side by side, #2 Floor mount side by side, #3 Floor mount stacked. As of now my plan is to install them on the interior garage side wall between the windows side-by-side. If I choose a floor install is there a need for protective bollards? The answer may be location code specific but if this community know more about this I'd like your input. I think I will remove the shelves from this wall so the installation has as clean a look as possible.
PXL_20240203_172138679.jpg
1706982511792.jpeg

Not sure if this helps at all but we had our solar panels and PWs installed in 2020, but before the newer codes were being discussed so not sure how things have changed. Here’s a few photos to show what we had done. Garage at time of build before drywall installed.

CIMG0602.jpeg

IMG_1175.jpeg

IMG_2480.jpeg

IMG_2477.jpeg

The other side of our garage had that raised block ledge so we elected to use this side instead for the PWs, and while they look mounted on the floor Tesla mounted them to wall brackets. The other side with the ledge was our garage’s exterior wall where our main panel was located so we used the interior side of that wall to install our breaker panels (did full house backup). Our Tesla mobile charger is connected to a NEMA-14-50 outlet on that side.

BTW now’s the time to give the mounting wall a fresh coat of paint while it’s an easy roll out paint job.

Last edited: