Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mount PWs on basement wall or floor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having PWs 2 & 3 installed tomorrow. PW 1 is on a wood-frame wall in a walk-out basement utility closet under the stairs. I could mount 2 & 3 so all 3 are on a wood-frame wall in a row with maybe one foot separation between each.

I can also have them drop PW 1 to the concrete floor and sandwich all 3. Probably a tossup from a useful storage space standpoint.

The only functional concern I can think of is if the basement flooded. Highly unlikely as my sump pump is rarely called upon. Even if the sump pump failed, I have 3 floor drains between sump & PWs with 2 of those drains close to the PWs. If the drains failed, water would likely just run out under the wood-framed back wall.

Any other factors to consider or is it just down to personal preference? Thanks.

Depending on the size of the closet, and if it is closed off, you may end up with some heat problems when all three are charging/discharging. If there is a door, maybe swap it out add louvers of some kind. There is also the NFPA 855, which states a maximum 40kWh can be stored in a utility closet, not sure if that will come into play but has been brought up in the forums on several occasions.

If you have a walk-out basement, I'd probably not be too concerned with flooding if the floor is about the same level as the exit. While powerwalls will sit on the floor, they are sitting on feet of some kind so they are not just metal directly on the floor.

I'd say it is up to whether you want them presented as art, or tucked away and forgotten.

Our 3 PWs were installed in an unfinished basement. The installers built a wood frame with plywood over it on the wall next to our panel and attached the PWs, GW and breaker box to it. Our initial install were 2 PWs side-by-side (8-12" apart?), and they added the third attached to one of them. I think there are rubber feet on the bottom of the PWs which the PWs rest on. Although we have a dry basement, I asked about water as our incoming line is nearby and they indicated unless there was a foot or more of water it shouldn't be an issue. We did put in a new wired smoke/fire sensor in the ceiling basement above the PWs.

Reactions: Matt-FL
Left the existing first PW on the wall (right side of pic) and put the new second PW on the floor. If I get a third, it will sandwich with the one on the floor.

20231024_113155.jpg

Reactions: Matt-FL
I have two PW's stacked on my basement floor. Basement is part of a two car garage. I have floor drains like you. I had both my sumps fail last year during a major rain/flood event and things got a little dicey. Floor drains were partially clogged and got overwhelmed. My wife and I spent 8 hours straight down there with brooms and shop vacs before we got things fully under control and the rain stopped. even when the PW's are on the floor they are raised about 1.5" which saved mine. If I could do it all over again I'd mount them on the wall. I now have triple redundancy on my sumps.... with hot spares and portable units on the ready. Nothing worse than a basement filling with water.