Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 weeks in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After seeing some of the posts on here i was nervous trading my S for the 3. I have now 2 weeks in and hard to be much happier wih my change so wanted to share somr good stuff. Most has already been shared but thought good to reiterate.

I had a 2013 S60 with leather, high fidelity, tech, and autopilot. I know some of my considerations below have been improved on the S skmce mine was manufactured.

Exterior build quality appears better than my 2013 S.

Interior
the seats are more comfortable, i do wish seats had adjustig head rests though,

there is a ton of new storage spots,
my cup holders work for many more scenerios,
the touch screen is faster and so far hasnt errored out as much. My S had 3g and there were numerous dead spots which are gone. I had to force restart S touch screen every few days too.

Maps seem more resonable about time and routes. Still not as good as waze becaue it has more dats but at least usable now.

The voice recognition also seems faster and more accurate to my voice.

Coat hooks yay my suit jacket appreciates it,

Mats and carpet are higher quality,
Headliner isnt alcatera but nice and find crazy some of the posts i have seen.
My kids love all glass roof which i didnt have before.
The sun visors are a better size to be usable for actually blocking thr sun and have lighted mirrors.
The seats do easy entry and exit change way faster than S. S i was impatient and would fight to get out around steering wheel.
Back seats my 7yr olds booster was narrow but really had a hard time buckling becaue the side of the seat closet to the door raise up. This made his sest shift over. 3 seats dont have this and was real excited saying dad it was so much easier buckling up.

My S didnt have rear buckle sensors but 3 does.

The lack of a instrument screen is growing on me and really like its simplicity. My 70yr old dad also commented on how it nice how its not overwhelming.

Key
i have heard lots of complaints. I liked the idea from the beginning. I had a little trouble day 2. Had to pair phone again and no problems since. On my S I was frequently annoyed because i would have to get close to certain points closer to front to walkup unlock to work and my kids were always getting in the way. Now from about 5 feet away any side of car it unlocks. So more conveneint for getting kids in car. I bought 2 extra card keys and slid 1 underneath my phones case as a backup. Now i dont carry any keys with my smart locks at home.

Charging
My S charge door did not auto close and i swear i must have forgotten to close 100 times. Nice improvement that i know has been on newer S.

I also notice that the charging cables plug in easier and just seemed better build quality on the port. I use home charger station mostly. My S the port frequently didnt get good connections and would have to force more or unplug and replug back in. Just plugs in smoother.

Driving
Its faster and smoother than my S. It is also way more nimble and eay to park. autopilot is working about as well as on S.

Trunk
My only thing i miss from the S is the automatic lift gate. The trunk takes some getting used to and was nice when you had groceries to be open. Its not a big deal and he positives way outweigh.

Cost
I am saving $200 a month and getting another tax credit. My insurance is going down $100 a year.

So in conclusion don"t let stories on here scare you. You will probably always here more of the bad than the good. They made so many changes to the S some of points arent relevant to all years so dont skewer me. If you are on fence about placing order or configuring just do it.

I agree with everything justobuf says. We have an M3 since December 28th, as well as a 2013 S. The M3 is nimble and fast. We sold our volt once the M3 arrived. By comparison the dash of the M3 is relaxing. Its simplicity is calming and clean. Adjustment time to adopt to glancing to the right for instruments and not having to stare through the steering wheel... about a nanosecond.

After seeing some of the posts on here i was nervous trading my S for the 3. I have now 2 weeks in and hard to be much happier wih my change so wanted to share somr good stuff. Most has already been shared but thought good to reiterate.

I had a 2013 S60 with leather, high fidelity, tech, and autopilot. I know some of my considerations below have been improved on the S skmce mine was manufactured.

Exterior build quality appears better than my 2013 S.

Interior
the seats are more comfortable, i do wish seats had adjustig head rests though,

there is a ton of new storage spots,
my cup holders work for many more scenerios,
the touch screen is faster and so far hasnt errored out as much. My S had 3g and there were numerous dead spots which are gone. I had to force restart S touch screen every few days too.

Maps seem more resonable about time and routes. Still not as good as waze becaue it has more dats but at least usable now.

The voice recognition also seems faster and more accurate to my voice.

Coat hooks yay my suit jacket appreciates it,

Mats and carpet are higher quality,
Headliner isnt alcatera but nice and find crazy some of the posts i have seen.
My kids love all glass roof which i didnt have before.
The sun visors are a better size to be usable for actually blocking thr sun and have lighted mirrors.
The seats do easy entry and exit change way faster than S. S i was impatient and would fight to get out around steering wheel.
Back seats my 7yr olds booster was narrow but really had a hard time buckling becaue the side of the seat closet to the door raise up. This made his sest shift over. 3 seats dont have this and was real excited saying dad it was so much easier buckling up.

My S didnt have rear buckle sensors but 3 does.

The lack of a instrument screen is growing on me and really like its simplicity. My 70yr old dad also commented on how it nice how its not overwhelming.

Key
i have heard lots of complaints. I liked the idea from the beginning. I had a little trouble day 2. Had to pair phone again and no problems since. On my S I was frequently annoyed because i would have to get close to certain points closer to front to walkup unlock to work and my kids were always getting in the way. Now from about 5 feet away any side of car it unlocks. So more conveneint for getting kids in car. I bought 2 extra card keys and slid 1 underneath my phones case as a backup. Now i dont carry any keys with my smart locks at home.

Charging
My S charge door did not auto close and i swear i must have forgotten to close 100 times. Nice improvement that i know has been on newer S.

I also notice that the charging cables plug in easier and just seemed better build quality on the port. I use home charger station mostly. My S the port frequently didnt get good connections and would have to force more or unplug and replug back in. Just plugs in smoother.

Driving
Its faster and smoother than my S. It is also way more nimble and eay to park. autopilot is working about as well as on S.

Trunk
My only thing i miss from the S is the automatic lift gate. The trunk takes some getting used to and was nice when you had groceries to be open. Its not a big deal and he positives way outweigh.

Cost
I am saving $200 a month and getting another tax credit. My insurance is going down $100 a year.

So in conclusion don"t let stories on here scare you. You will probably always here more of the bad than the good. They made so many changes to the S some of points arent relevant to all years so dont skewer me. If you are on fence about placing order or configuring just do it.

Don’t want to but in on your forum but I too had an early reservation for the 3. As the original expectitations and the time frame fot aquiring one Changed, I decides to order a new S 100D. This is flat-out the best car in the world. I love it. It is just so much fun to own. The 3 is probably the future. No dash now, no steering wheel later, and completely voice controlled in the future. No mater what,Tesla is the car.

Don’t want to but in on your forum but I too had an early reservation for the 3. As the original expectitations and the time frame fot aquiring one Changed, I decides to order a new S 100D. This is flat-out the best car in the world.

We need a LOT more of these posts, and no more of the OP's. (says a line-waiter who has still not configured...) :(

Don’t want to but in on your forum but I too had an early reservation for the 3. As the original expectitations and the time frame fot aquiring one Changed, I decides to order a new S 100D. This is flat-out the best car in the world. I love it. It is just so much fun to own. The 3 is probably the future. No dash now, no steering wheel later, and completely voice controlled in the future. No mater what,Tesla is the car.

The day my only option for a car is one with no steering wheel is the day I stop buying cars.

Reactions: voltage
The day my only option for a car is one with no steering wheel is the day I stop buying cars.
That's the point.. you rent the car from an autonomous fleet when you need it
If the price is not ok for you ( about the rental ) or they have availability problem or similar, then you buy you'r own car.. but as said, the future is this when "you can't have a car with a steering wheel"

Reactions: Pkmmte