TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autopilot Retrofit on Classic P85 - Done by wizkid057!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by cdub, May 13, 2016.

1. cdub

cdub Future Model 3 owner

Didn't see a post on this yet... but he did it:

Autopilot Retrofit on Classic P85 | wk057's SkieNET

• Like x 7
    • Informative x 3
    • Love x 3
    • Funny x 1
  2. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Subscribed. ;)

• Like x 11
    • Funny x 5
    • Love x 3
  3. cdub

Impressive man. I'd be worried it wouldn't work or would go haywire... but then again that's just me... I worry. :)

But kudos man. Nice wrap too.

4. cdub

Has Elon offered you a job yet? ;)

• Like x 5
  5. TerribleOne923

Wow nice work man! Very impressive.

6. davidc18

davidc18 Member

7. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

This is nuts man, nuts! But very impressive.

8. fluxemag

fluxemag Member

I'm an Electrical Engineer and am consistently blown away by your projects wk057! That's some fearless tinkering...

• Like x 1
  9. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

wk057, you are a god!

10. Da0ne

Da0ne Member

awesome work i would love to convert my classic 85 to have autopilot

11. DieAbetic

DieAbetic Member

WK057... amazing man. Really impressive.

How on earth did you get the firmware/software update? All you say is "I spent several hours getting the firmware and calibrations working.... After a bit more work with calibrations and firmware, everything was in order." Does this mean you already had the firmware to tweak, or had to somehow trick Tesla into sending firmware/software? Get it from your other car's firmware, perhaps?

12. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

This is totally amazing awesome job mate

13. disillusioned

disillusioned Member

"Oh, look, an actual crazy person!"

This is intense. I also love that you have the yellow on the dash. Is that an image you have to make yourself, or do you just specify an RGB value and the interface colors it?

• Like x 1
  14. Zextraterrestrial

I was thinking in the u tube video that the P85 didn't have sensors before...nice!

15. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Very impressive!

"I did this as a sort of proof-of-concept, and because I wanted my wife to have autopilot but didn’t want to trade her car in."

I call BS on that though. In fact, he did it because of me:

Stop the Press! Tesla announces REAL HP numbers for P85D and P90L

Stop the Press! Tesla announces REAL HP numbers for P85D and P90L

This was my plan from the start since now I can get my "classic" non-AP S done next, right WK057? We go way back, and we're the best of friends. Always getting along so well! ;)

Wait a minute, he says this: "Now, I know the next big question: How much did it cost? Well, not counting my own labor, all together the project cost less than $9,000. That includes costs for parts from Tesla..."

Isn't that buying "another retail product" from Tesla? I win!

Come back wk057 and please post here again. The new forum isn't that bad. I lost all my rep points too in the transition and I was so close to getting the free pony!

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
  16. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

That is so mega awesome. If the hobby version was that much, I see why Tesla doesn't do retrofits, it would cost $20K!

However, I didn't read anything in there that explains how the pre-AP car steers itself -- are there already actuators for steering in non-AP cars? Did I miss something? I re-scanned the posting and even searched for "steer" and only found the part about the levers.

17. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Wow wk, simply amazing. For my own selfish reasons, I hope Tesla gives you a high level technical position so you can make our cars even better :).

18. Adrien

Adrien Member

WOW....Just Wow! I'm sure like many others here I want to just pick your brain on all the intricacies of your project. I had lots of naysayers back when I was building (and built) the highest horsepower Integra. We don't listen, right? ;P

Kind of. I saw in another post it was some kind of number based system and not Hex. I don't remember, but you've got the methodology right.

I wonder how much access to the drivetrain components you can get to and start incrementally demanding more Amps from the inverter all while watching temps sensors, etc. Theoretically it's that easy to crank up power on EVs, just temps are the issue

• Like x 1
  19. Camera-Cruiser

Camera-Cruiser Fully Charged

Madness! and I want some.

One day my wife is going to come home and find "her" Tesla in the state of undress depicted in WK057's blog and she will kill me.
    Yup. Someday.....

You might go blind, but here is the link: Autopilot Retrofit on Classic P85 | wk057's SkieNET

20. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Virtually every modern car has the equipment to steer itself, if it knew where to steer.

Tesla uses a dual pinion electric power steering unit, which means there's an electric motor pushing on a second rack on the power steering under normal conditions anyway. It's programmed to apply force in carefully measured increments in response to how you turn the steering wheel (thus lessening the force required on the steering wheel) - but it is just as capable of pushing the steering from lock to lock on its own, with different programming.

I don't know the details of hooking the AP module into the steering, or whether they just talk over the CANBus, maybe? - but I've never read anything suggesting the power steering system was different on the AP cars.
    Walter

• Informative x 2