Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20 MS driver seat stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same problem 2021 S LR refresh. After the driver's seat was moved all the way back it would no longer move forward, although the other seat controls worked fine. A sound could be heard at the track motor, so it seemed not to be a power connection issue.

We tried everything: lots of pushing on the floor with my back against the seat while moving the control back and forward, shaking, pushing the seat-back from behind, tapping on the motor and around the tracks (I had an old VW bus that had a starter motor that required the same sort of tapping that solarPE's FIL suggested- and crossing the terminals on the dirty solenoid with a screwdriver...) until finally with one person pushing on the seat-back while sitting in the back seat as the other person moved the other seat controls to different positions, then moved the forward/back control, reiterated, until finally the seat started moving forward and backwards again.

I had a feeling that something must've been stuck between the teeth in the track and whatever (cog?) the track motor moves to propel the seat along the track. There is a lot of thick grease in the track, and the driver's under-seat area is exposed to a lot of dirt and debris, especially for owners living on gravel roads. Not a great combination. A large sand grain stuck in the grease might be enough to prevent the seat from moving until it can be dislodged.
I contemplate cleaning out the grease with a custom homemade swab....