Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20 MS driver seat stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a 20 MS LR Plus, the driver seat is stuck in the far back position, the forward/back button will not operate, the up/down button operates. Anyone ever have that issue?

My 2022 MS LR is stuck as well. The problem started Sunday. I don't know if it had anything to do with the recent software upgrade. Fortunately, I already have a mobile appointment scheduled for tomorrow for another issue.

Just an update on my own stuck seat problem, the technician told me that it has been an issue for some cars. In their repair manual, it says to first try banging on the back of the seat. If that doesn't work, there is an 8mm bolt that attaches the screw mechanism. Loosen that, move the seat, and then retighten it. That did the trick and my seat works again. Seems pretty low tech for a high tech car.

Just an update on my own stuck seat problem, the technician told me that it has been an issue for some cars. In their repair manual, it says to first try banging on the back of the seat. If that doesn't work, there is an 8mm bolt that attaches the screw mechanism. Loosen that, move the seat, and then retighten it. That did the trick and my seat works again. Seems pretty low tech for a high tech car.
In a high tech car where the most common solution is timeless...Ctrl Alt Delete

Reactions: HughDeo
The same thing just started happening to me out of nowhere.
2020 MS LRP
Curiously it started right after the latest FSD software update (2022.4.5.21).
The first time it got stuck, a reboot fixed it, but the next day it got stuck again and the reboot didn't work anymore.
I have a service appt in 2 weeks, I really hope it will start working before that.

I read in another thread that it can be fixed by not letting the seat go all the way to the back.
Next time the seat works (if ever), I'll make sure to adjust the Easy Entry position to not go all the way to the back.

Where's that bolt located? I'll probably give it a try.

The same thing just started happening to me out of nowhere.
2020 MS LRP
Curiously it started right after the latest FSD software update (2022.4.5.21).
The first time it got stuck, a reboot fixed it, but the next day it got stuck again and the reboot didn't work anymore.
I have a service appt in 2 weeks, I really hope it will start working before that.

I read in another thread that it can be fixed by not letting the seat go all the way to the back.
Next time the seat works (if ever), I'll make sure to adjust the Easy Entry position to not go all the way to the back.
I brought my tools home to fix it myself when I got in my car after work the seat ended up working normally. Didn’t do anything at all. But yea think I won’t set my easy entry all the way back also. What I do notice is sometimes before I go in to work I do lay the seat back and exit my car without adjusting it back straight up. Regardless we really shouldn’t be having these issues on a 100k car.

Our 2017 Model X had the "No forward No Reverse" seat issue on two occasions. The first time it happened on a trip at a supercharger ... we tried all the obvious computer resets, etc. Nothing worked. I drove it with the seat all the way back for a couple days while randomly screwing with it. Then it "fixed itself". Now it happened again 2 years later after my wife was changing her shoes after moving it all the way back. We tried rebooting, etc. Nothing worked.

To "fix" it, my 90 year old father-in-law, suggested lightly tapping the driver side motor with a hammer. Instead of the hammer, he lightly tapped it with the handle from the "free" tesla umbrella. There is easy access to the motor from behind the driver seat. It immediately moved forward and backward upon pressing the driver side seat control after tapping the motor. He is an old-school mechanic, having run a gas station until he retired 25 years ago. That tapping trick is the same type of thing I would do as a Ford Starter Motor engineer when the starter would not crank. Tapping the starter motor lightly helps seat the brushes that might not be making good contact. You can get a dying starter to crank a handful of more times before replacing it. A good trick to use when you are stranded - until you can get a new starter.

I suspect that the motor contacts have some wear / dust or are otherwise not making good contact. The vibration from the tapping helps it regain contact. I'll see how long we can keep the seat working.

Now the only seat power issue we are having is that the seat will not move forward and backward during the profile selections. Everything else moves per the profile (tilt, mirrors, etc.) but no forward or backward movement. Its been like this pretty much ever since we took the car in to replace the MCU chip under the recall. I wonder if they burned something on the motherboard, etc. Either that, or it coincides with the time when they quit updating the software for what seemed like a year and we had just gotten the "last" update for what seemed like over a year. The 2022 V11 software update recently did not solve anything. A couple mobile service guys said that was strange -- and could not figure anything out.
If I had time, I'd tear the motor and controller apart and see what's going on. For now, we just manually move the seat forward and backward when changing profiles ... and pretend we have an old beater non-tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu
Our 2017 Model X had the "No forward No Reverse" seat issue on two occasions. The first time it happened on a trip at a supercharger ... we tried all the obvious computer resets, etc. Nothing worked. I drove it with the seat all the way back for a couple days while randomly screwing with it. Then it "fixed itself". Now it happened again 2 years later after my wife was changing her shoes after moving it all the way back. We tried rebooting, etc. Nothing worked.

To "fix" it, my 90 year old father-in-law, suggested lightly tapping the driver side motor with a hammer. Instead of the hammer, he lightly tapped it with the handle from the "free" tesla umbrella. There is easy access to the motor from behind the driver seat. It immediately moved forward and backward upon pressing the driver side seat control after tapping the motor. He is an old-school mechanic, having run a gas station until he retired 25 years ago. That tapping trick is the same type of thing I would do as a Ford Starter Motor engineer when the starter would not crank. Tapping the starter motor lightly helps seat the brushes that might not be making good contact. You can get a dying starter to crank a handful of more times before replacing it. A good trick to use when you are stranded - until you can get a new starter.

I suspect that the motor contacts have some wear / dust or are otherwise not making good contact. The vibration from the tapping helps it regain contact. I'll see how long we can keep the seat working.

Now the only seat power issue we are having is that the seat will not move forward and backward during the profile selections. Everything else moves per the profile (tilt, mirrors, etc.) but no forward or backward movement. Its been like this pretty much ever since we took the car in to replace the MCU chip under the recall. I wonder if they burned something on the motherboard, etc. Either that, or it coincides with the time when they quit updating the software for what seemed like a year and we had just gotten the "last" update for what seemed like over a year. The 2022 V11 software update recently did not solve anything. A couple mobile service guys said that was strange -- and could not figure anything out.
If I had time, I'd tear the motor and controller apart and see what's going on. For now, we just manually move the seat forward and backward when changing profiles ... and pretend we have an old beater non-tesla.
That's a great tip. thank you to your wise FIL

Turns out the shaft was disconnected and it literally took 1 minute to I sert it back. Tesla wanted to put in a new seat for $200

Attachments

• IMG_1766.jpeg
    IMG_1766.jpeg
    477.2 KB · Views: 321