Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20" Performance Staggered Rim? Where can I find it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea Elon doesn't exactly track his car haha look what Randy Pobst used, 245 square. Also going 10.5 with 8.5 is waaaay overkill.

I run 265 square on 9.5" tires and the car is pretty well balanced, i think larger rears wouldn't really do much for you.

Yea Elon doesn't exactly track his car haha look what Randy Pobst used, 245 square. Also going 10.5 with 8.5 is waaaay overkill.

I run 265 square on 9.5" tires and the car is pretty well balanced, i think larger rears wouldn't really do much for you.

Elon indicated that Traction control is almost not needed with 10.5's on the rear. 8.5's in the rear will slip without traction control on a launch. Negligible slipping with 10.5's.

Elon Musk on Twitter

wait what? larger on the front? Who said that?

Me, i'm trying to say that it would be better to run 9.5" wheels all around or maybe even 10" like some are doing if you want to be really aggressive. Running 10.5" in the rear with an 8.5" in the front is only going to be good for going in a straight line, at least put 9.5" in the front!

But again, everyone that is tracking their cars so far is pretty much using square set-ups since the car has very even weight distribution.

Reactions: NeverFollow
Me, i'm trying to say that it would be better to run 9.5" wheels all around or maybe even 10" like some are doing if you want to be really aggressive. Running 10.5" in the rear with an 8.5" in the front is only going to be good for going in a straight line, at least put 9.5" in the front!

But again, everyone that is tracking their cars so far is pretty much using square set-ups since the car has very even weight distribution.

Yes...I'm only interested in the straight line launch. I'm not looking to launch into a corner.

There isn't even weight distribution on a launch. Not even close. ALWAYS more weight in the rear.

You should tell this guy he isn't tracking right - as well as the other 99.9 percent of these guys.

Last edited:
Yes...I'm only interested in the straight line launch. I'm not looking to launch into a corner.

There isn't even weight distribution on a launch. Not even close. ALWAYS more weight in the rear.

You should tell this guy he isn't tracking right - as well as the other 99.9 percent of these guys.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but tracking your car (going around a circuit) is a completely different story than drag racing (down a strip). I think you guys are talking about different things, and thus different setups.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but tracking your car (going around a circuit) is a completely different story than drag racing (down a strip). I think you guys are talking about different things, and thus different setups.

Yea his last post made that fairly apparent haha i'm definitely talking about racing around a circuit or track or just general handling when driving sportily through some canyons. I don't really see the point of drag racing but that's just me.

Ok but physics doesn't lie and having a larger contact patch in the front is going to make you faster overall if you can fit the tires. Pretty much everyone who is racing their Model 3 at the moment is running on square set-ups, just saying.

That's only true if you have enough HP to need the grip. In the other case where there isn't enough HP to spin the tires, the thinner the better for better aerodynamics.

Basically - if it spins, get bigger tires. If it doesn't spin, get smaller tires until it does spin. This is for a straight line. I believe people get wider tires for better grip on the track during turns as well.

@Garlan Garner Be sure to use a quality measurement tool (VBOX, dragy) and do a before/after test under similar conditions. I'd like to know how much slower the car is with 20"x10.5" wheels in the back.

Here's an example of someone who took off 9lbs of rotating mass per corner but only gained 0.08 sec to 60. Adding the inertia of a 20x10.5 wheel is going in the wrong direction.

@Garlan Garner Be sure to use a quality measurement tool (VBOX, dragy) and do a before/after test under similar conditions. I'd like to know how much slower the car is with 20"x10.5" wheels in the back.

Here's an example of someone who took off 9lbs of rotating mass per corner but only gained 0.08 sec to 60. Adding the inertia of a 20x10.5 wheel is going in the wrong direction.

I have 0-60 times for him.

8.5 in the back. 3.5
10.5 in the back 3.1

My car with 8.5 in the back 3.4 - 3 times in a row starting with a full charge.

This was done by both cars at the autobahn racetrack in Joliet Il. They have official trees and times.

That's only true if you have enough HP to need the grip. In the other case where there isn't enough HP to spin the tires, the thinner the better for better aerodynamics.

I was talking about on a track where you certainly need the grip when braking/entering a turn, i'd agree that the 8.5" in front is plenty if you're just talking about drag races and quarter miles though.

I have 0-60 times for him.

8.5 in the back. 3.5
10.5 in the back 3.1

My car with 8.5 in the back 3.4 - 3 times in a row starting with a full charge.

This was done by both cars at the autobahn racetrack in Joliet Il. They have official trees and times.
Interesting data, please tell us more. What tires and wheels were used? I’ll presume you had OEM 20’s with PS4S. Any idea why 3.5 vs 3.4? Do these times include 1” rollout or are they a true 0-60?