Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why didn't Tesla offer a non-stagger wheel option for the MYP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I'm wondering why Tesla doesn't offer a non-staggered wheel/tire set for the Model Y Performance. I understand that "Performance" to them means better grip and cornering, but what about people like me who just want the power of the Model Y Performance for regular city and highway driving? I simply want the features of an SUV with more power than my M3LR.

Personally, I utilize my car's power while driving at higher speeds and rarely from a complete stop, unless I need to overtake someone before a lane merge. Therefore, I don't require different width tires and thinner sidewalls, and it seems like I'm not the only one. Sure, I could opt for the Model Y Long Range and then pay an additional $2000 for the Acceleration Boost, but I'm not a fan of the 19'' Gemini Wheels and I don't want to spend another $2000 for the 20'' Induction Wheels. The Long Range also lacks a carbon fiber tail, sits higher, and has the same power with AB as my M3LR. I want the Performance version, but I don't want to deal with the shorter tread life and extra cost associated with that specific tire style and size.

For people like me who prefer a squared setup, why isn't the option available when ordering? Many individuals on various forums who have made the switch claim that nothing else is affected. If it's a speed rating issue that Tesla doesn't support, aren't there "normal" tires out there with the appropriate load indexes and speed ratings? If not, then I can understand why Tesla doesn't offer it.

It's just such a waste of time and money to have to purchase a third-party set of "normal" tires and rims, pay to have everything switched over, and then deal with selling the brand new 21'' Uberturbine set that people are now hesitant to pay full price for. This means even more money out of my pocket, especially since TSportline charges $3,700 for their cheapest TSV 19'' Induction tire package set.

Wouldn't it be more logical if Tesla could simply provide two rim options for different drivers?

Last edited:
No one here knows for sure, but maybe there isn’t enough demand for what you want, and Tesla definitely prefers to simplify production options.

Did you already buy the MYP or are you just considering it?
Was going to buy this week but did so much back and forth with possibly having to deal with that issue that I decided to wait until the Juniper comes out. That, and we both knew we'd regret buying now with a refresh coming sometime next year. If the back tires weren't a couple hundred dollars more on average than standard tires Teslas use, I'd probably be OK getting one since I drive so little. I'll just see what performance improvements if any the LR has and go from there. If having an SUV that goes 4.3/sec vs 3.5/sec is the worst thing in the world, I'm sure I'll survive.

I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I'm wondering why Tesla doesn't offer a non-staggered wheel/tire set for the Model Y Performance. I understand that "Performance" to them means better grip and cornering, but what about people like me who just want the power of the Model Y Performance for regular city and highway driving? I simply want the features of an SUV with more power than my M3LR.

Personally, I utilize my car's power while driving at higher speeds and rarely from a complete stop, unless I need to overtake someone before a lane merge. Therefore, I don't require different width tires and thinner sidewalls, and it seems like I'm not the only one. Sure, I could opt for the Model Y Long Range and then pay an additional $2000 for the Acceleration Boost, but I'm not a fan of the 19'' Gemini Wheels and I don't want to spend another $2000 for the 20'' Induction Wheels. The Long Range also lacks a carbon fiber tail, sits higher, and has the same power with AB as my M3LR. I want the Performance version, but I don't want to deal with the shorter tread life and extra cost associated with that specific tire style and size.

For people like me who prefer a squared setup, why isn't the option available when ordering? Many individuals on various forums who have made the switch claim that nothing else is affected. If it's a speed rating issue that Tesla doesn't support, aren't there "normal" tires out there with the appropriate load indexes and speed ratings? If not, then I can understand why Tesla doesn't offer it.

It's just such a waste of time and money to have to purchase a third-party set of "normal" tires and rims, pay to have everything switched over, and then deal with selling the brand new 21'' Uberturbine set that people are now hesitant to pay full price for. This means even more money out of my pocket, especially since TSportline charges $3,700 for their cheapest TSV 19'' Induction tire package set.

Wouldn't it be more logical if Tesla could simply provide two rim options for different drivers?
They did in the beginning. They offered Gemini wheels. Pretty plebian option for a high performance car. I'm guessing they keep it staggered for performance, esthetics, and to reduce understeer. You could run the OEM until they need replacement. At that point you have to spend $2000 to replace the tires or you could get a cheaper set of even 18"s for not much more.

Waiting for juniper won't solve your perceived problem.

Reactions: Spivas
They did in the beginning. They offered Gemini wheels. Pretty plebian option for a high performance car. I'm guessing they keep it staggered for performance, esthetics, and to reduce understeer. You could run the OEM until they need replacement. At that point you have to spend $2000 to replace the tires or you could get a cheaper set of even 18"s for not much more.

The stagger concern was one reason why I didn't hit the order button as I couldn't make my mind up on whether to get the YP or the LR plus $2000 for the AB. In the in, like this morning, my wife and I just said, let's just wait for Juniper since we knew we'd be kicking ourselves for getting one now and it gives me much more time to make the LR or P decision.

You can sell new 21s for about 2k and put that towards a set of aftermarket wheels. You're paying a premium for overpriced TSportline wheels.

There's a joker in Texas who will do you a trade. Your new 21's for his new 20's. See the similar threads list below. My US geography is shaky but halfway would be a half day drive each maybe? Meet at a country tyre shop and buy the boys a slab of beer. Job done.

Reactions: Spivas
you won't get them much flusher with only 10mm spacers on all 4 corners. love the staggered setup as it fits so perfectly

IMG_3906.jpeg

IMG_3904.jpeg

FWIW, staggered wheels usually induces understeer.

Reactions: Noflash
There's a joker in Texas who will do you a trade. Your new 21's for his new 20's. See the similar threads list below. My US geography is shaky but halfway would be a half day drive each maybe? Meet at a country tyre shop and buy the boys a slab of beer. Job done.
I'm waiting until the refresh comes out but will try and set up a sale or trade right when the car is delivered. Ty.

I had the option to test 2 sets so I installed the 9.5" all around see below and did also test the 10.5" all around see the last picture
middle picture left 10.5's right on are the 9.5's
In my opinion the staggered looks the best
View attachment 1045882
View attachment 1045885

View attachment 1045886
They do look the best but I like the look of more cash in my wallet too. I'll sacrifice the staggered look for longer wear and less expensive 19s. I will keep the Uber style as those make the car. Well, unless Juniper team decides to change the style.

FWIW, staggered wheels usually induces understeer.
I had to Google it because I don't know the benefits of either.

"Certainly, driver preference is a factor, but most top-level drivers would prefer to have over steer in slow corners, and under steer in fast corners. Why? Over steer can help you rotate or change the direction of the car, which is what you need most in tight, slow corners."

I don't ever drive hard in corners and even if I have, I never noticed it being a problem. Sure I'm comparing my M3LR to the YP so there are differences but, I typically use my M3LRs power for passing people on city roads and highways so, does it really matter which "steer" is better? I've never complained about how it handles on standard 18s.

Tes.jpg