Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why didn't Tesla offer a non-stagger wheel option for the MYP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honest to god i thought the staggered set up was mainly for RWD vehicles to grip and put power down easier

Or just for the looks like the MYP since its AWD etc.

Yea i personally fall in the category changed the tires to 20in squared cause
A. Uberturbines are heavy af 21s
B. Im not ****ing around with tire replacements early and no rotations

So i feel the OP slight frustrations

I suppose an option would be nice from factory

Buy two OEM front wheels and tires from Tesla and install them on the back, keep the new rear wheel/tires for when you sell the car. Problem solved.
We decided not to wait for Juniper. We're getting ours next week and your idea is how we're going to proceed so thanks for recommending it. Yes it's extra money but it's the fastest solution and guarantees everything is new versus possible issues with someone else's tires and rims.

Reactions: drb3333 and alain99
Actually, how many miles could I get on those tires with normal rotations? Would stepping down to 19s and normal sidewalls yield more miles?
What are the OE tyres? They seem to vary quite a lot.

I think the biggest contribution to wear is your right foot. Next your propensity for throwing it around corners. Not hitting kerbs and wacking your alignment helps.

40k miles seems pretty normal for sedate driving on nice smooth roads.

What are the OE tyres? They seem to vary quite a lot.

I think the biggest contribution to wear is your right foot. Next your propensity for throwing it around corners. Not hitting kerbs and wacking your alignment helps.

40k miles seems pretty normal for sedate driving on nice smooth roads.
I'm at half-life on my M3LR OE tires with 19,300 driven so I'm fairly sedated for a Tesla owner.

Honest to god i thought the staggered set up was mainly for RWD vehicles to grip and put power down easier

Or just for the looks like the MYP since its AWD etc.
It still helps with AWD cars because when you accelerate the rear tires are the ones that are loaded the most. I remember at a certain point, the acceleration of a car is limited by the tire traction, so I imagine that is where the staggered setup helps (to be clear it's not the staggering, but rather the rears being wider; a similar thing can happen with a square setup but typically the front has lower limits due to the need keep a margin to allow clearance for steering).
Yea i personally fall in the category changed the tires to 20in squared cause
A. Uberturbines are heavy af 21s
B. Im not ****ing around with tire replacements early and no rotations

So i feel the OP slight frustrations

I suppose an option would be nice from factory
I think they don't give the option to downgrade because that puts less money in their pocket while increasing variation (which costs Tesla money). They offer the other way around (option LR to performance wheels) because people pay extra to do so.

Reactions: Daekwan and dino007
Actually, how many miles could I get on those tires with normal rotations? Would stepping down to 19s and normal sidewalls yield more miles?
The actual mileage is more a question of treadwear rating and to extend the wear evenly you rotate frequently to maximize your tires.

I don't know what the treadwear rating on the different tires is but if you have a 21" tire with say 500 and a 19" tire with 250 the 21" will last twice as long as the 19" ones.

Reactions: Spivas
That's really all they are anyway. You're splitting hairs to get at the differences which would be largely unnoticed in the real world during day to day use.
Yep.

The 3 basic things that sold me on the original 2021 RWD Standard Range Model Y for $39,990 instead of the more expensive versions were:

1) How often do you need to accelerate faster than 0-60 in 5.3 seconds?
2) How often do you need to drive more than 200 miles in a single day?
3) How often do you need AWD?

Since the answer to all 3 was basically somewhere between very rarely & never.. I bought the car and never looked back. Did entertain the idea of trading in my 2021 MYSR RWD for a newer MYP.. but the numbers just never made sense. Fast forward 3 years later and with the way all these cars have basically depreciated to hell.. Im so glad I didn't spend $60,000 to $70,000 on MYP a few years ago.

What's really crazy is that at anyway I could actually sell my 2021 MYSR and purchased a used 2021 MYP for almost the same price. They are both can be found for about $30K used.

Reactions: drb3333