Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why didn't Tesla offer a non-stagger wheel option for the MYP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I prefer squared setups on my vehicles as well and dislike the lack of availability on newer Teslas.
They offer the LR buyers the ability to upgrade to the Uber Performance wheels but don't want the Performance buyers to step down? Like I said, to avoid the hassle of taking off the brand new set and finding square ones, I'd pay the $2000 at time of purchase. Quick! Someone send this to the MYP team. Ha!

Reactions: Ostrichsak
but I'm not a fan of the 19'' Gemini Wheels and I don't want to spend another $2000 for the 20'' Induction Wheels.
Geminis ain't so bad....

52-A00-EB8-B22-D-48-F5-9828-9-F66-E33-BDBDC.jpg

Reactions: Spivas
Performance means more than just acceleration. Most staggered set ups are designed for better handling, braking, feel and balance.
With my driving style, I don't mind having those features if that's the way it comes but, I wouldn't care if those were less functional with the standard 19s. Plenty of MYP owners here have done the switch and said nothing really changed for them. Based on that, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't notice anything besides a slight boost in ride comfort.

The only time it matters on the street is in an emergency, Then you really need to know what the car is going to do. Every driver should tests the limits of handling and braking in a safe environment, as it could save your life one day.
Tire setup is very car specific. Even more so if you modify it. For a stock/lightly modified tesla, square is best. For a 911 square would be suicidal.
Being able to rotate is nice.

Reactions: drb3333 and Spivas
He's talking about setting up a car for handling at the performance limit. Nobody should be finding this limit on the street. The real world effect for most owners is just the annoyance of not being able to rotate wheels.
I think it was in the Reddit forums where I saw that rotations are very rare in Europe. I forgot if it was based on more cars being staggered or that it's just not a common thing. Maybe someone can chime in who knows.

The only time it matters on the street is in an emergency,
Unless somebody has a lot of training, it won't. Cars are set to understeer from the factory because it's safer for untrained drivers. And emergency lane change might push, but it'll still change lanes.

Then you really need to know what the car is going to do. Every driver should tests the limits of handling and braking in a safe environment, as it could save your life one day.
Totally agree that everybody should attend a basic car control clinic and learn how their car handles.

Tire setup is very car specific. Even more so if you modify it. For a stock/lightly modified tesla, square is best.
You are making broad sweeping statements based on opinion.

For a 911 square would be suicidal. Being able to rotate is nice.
A 911 with a square setup would be more neutral than the typical 911 with a staggered setup.

Reactions: Daekwan