Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20" Stock OEM vs 22" 3 piece forged wheels mileage concerns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although differing wheels will have differing moments of intertia, much of this energy is potentially recoverable just like the mass of the vehicle is with regenerative braking. The problem is that the lower profile tires have greater rolling losses due to the deformations from the road contact (strain) causing greater stress (strain / sidewall dimension). Some of this is not elastic and causes internal frictional losses that are not recoverable. There are many such things like this going on in a wheel. There is also less air in the tire, which means greater compression and rarefaction with each bump - also lossy. I haven't seen a good breakdown of the magnitudes of these various effects though.

Hey there buddy, its more about the WIDTH of the wheels and tire setup rather than the Weight of the setup when you are talking mileage, there is more drag on the wider setup so therefore it will loose mileage regardless of weight. Only real benefit of the lighter wheel & tire setup is acceleration..

I'd like to know as well. Different tires with different rolling resistance will obviously have an effect, as well as tire size and profile, and rim weight. 2 rims can weigh the same but have different efficiencies. 22" wheels have most of their weight farthest away (11") from the center axle which requires more torque to rotate than a 20" wheel as the weight is not as far from the center axle.

Tesla's disclaimer of 10-15% loss of range with the 22" wheels is huge! In my experience in the model S the difference between 19 and 21" is far less around 5%.

Any update Rich Meister? I was also looking at the HRE wheels also. Got some pretty nice sets.

I'd like to get some 22's and see if I can restore the original range estimates. I'm doubtful it will have that much impact. But you never know.

Thanks Rich Meister. What was your thinking on the 3 piece modular vs the P series forged?

Are you going purely for look? Acceleration and handling? Did anyone give you any assurances on range improvements?

the P Series are lighter and stronger. on my ICE cars i've had 3 piece HREs simply cuz they look so much better with a lip. Just the sheer weight savings there should be some improvement for acceleration and handling but I def didn't buy it for those two things. I just want to look good going slow (the slower the better) hahaha

Reactions: Ormond
I'd like to know as well. Different tires with different rolling resistance will obviously have an effect, as well as tire size and profile, and rim weight. ....

Tesla's disclaimer of 10-15% loss of range with the 22" wheels is huge! In my experience in the model S the difference between 19 and 21" is far less around 5%.
Any opinions / data on 20" all season, aggressive tread, softer rubber vs 22" summer on the highway range of a Model X ?
I'm planning a road trip that needs a mid trip charge at 40 amps. Would like to keep this charge time to a minimum to get to my destination.