Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2008 Tesla Roadster #245 For Sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

balter

Apr 17, 2009
Tesla Roadster 2008MY in Metallic White on two-tone premium black leather. This is a true high performance sports car with all the additions: alloy wheels, XM Radio, Navigation, 7-speaker stereo system, Tesla floor mats, solar plus glass, convertible, and premium paint armor! For your money, you’ll be getting one of the much-hyped Tesla Roadster’s just off production in England and you’ll be driving one of the fastest electrical vehicles around. Tesla pre-sold the first 100 vehicles, with series models selling out in just three weeks and with buyers paying for the car in full.

The 2008MY Roadster (#245) can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in just 3.9 seconds, has a top speed of 130 mph and can go 227 miles on a 3.5 hour charge or the equivalent of 135 miles per gallon. This vehicle offering is especially exceptional with less than 1,000 miles and less than one month old. Total asking price for this rare collectible is $135,000.

Moderator's note: Darkstar12 below claims that the actual car for sale is VIN245 and not #246.

Last edited:
From dpeilow's linked Business Insider article:
The price listed for a Roadster on Tesla's site is $101,500 after tax rebate for purchasing an electric car. If this person can sell the Roadster at $135,000, does it mean that Tesla is actually selling its car at a slight discount?

Ignoring for a moment that BI is trying to compare the base price of a car with the worth of a car obviously loaded with options, their statement does raise some questions about the tax rebate.

In a case like this, who is eligible for the $7500 federal tax rebate? Only the original owner? Both owners? Neither?

From dpeilow's linked Business Insider article:

Ignoring for a moment that BI is trying to compare the base price of a car with the worth of a car obviously loaded with options, their statement does raise some questions about the tax rebate.

In a case like this, who is eligible for the $7500 federal tax rebate? Only the original owner? Both owners? Neither?

If I understand the law correctly, only the original buyer CAN qualify. But I believe he/she must keep the car for 1 year to qualify. So it seems that neither would be eligible assuming there's no way that he's had #246 for a full year.

That said, I have been searching and can't find those details anywhere. I did find something saying that the "vehicle not be purchased with the intention of reselling"...not sure how you'd prove a thing like that, but if the new bill doesn't include the 1 year provision the reseller of this car may well qualify for the credit. Meaning he'd be making about ~$33k on the resale of the car.

Worth pointing out that a 2008 has one more year warranty than a 2009. Should be transferable and is certainly one reason to buy a used freshly minted Roadster.

...does it mean that Tesla is actually selling its car at a slight discount?

And yes, Tesla is at best breaking even on the 2008's for another month then they are in the black.

Last edited:
Why am I selling my 2008MY Tesla Roadster?

I'm selling from California and because it was a gift for my son graduating from college ane he has decided he would prefer to keep the car he is currently driving. Has 750 miles on it thus far. Since I'm selling within the year, I believe neither party gets the tax rebate, but I too have been unable to find sufficient evidence either way.

Production # incorrectly listed

Good Morning to all,

It was brought to my attention by the actual owner of #246, that "her" car was listed for sale on TMC. She has rec'd numerous calls from owners/friends asking why she was selling her beloved Roadster. Of course, her reply was, and is, "I'm NOT!!!" Please note that the actual Roadster for sale is #245...NOT #246. I also ask that balter make the necessary change to his posting to further avoid any confusion, and inconvenience to happy owner #246!!!

Happy Tesla Motoring!!!!!

Total asking price for this rare collectible is $135,000.

So far, it looks like the Roadsters on eBay are just not selling. If balter is lucky enough to find a buyer, he likely won't get much more than $100k or so. That means a loss of tens of thousands of dollars. The good news: it's probably a small loss compared to what happened to his stock portfolio since last September...

All of the cars on Ebay are technically used cars. There is nothing unique about a Tesla Roadster anymore. Anyone can get in line for $9,900 right now. The wait is about 6 months.

There are three advantages to waiting instead of buying a used Roadster on Ebay.

1) You get the $7,500 federal tax credit plus whatever state incentives might be available.
2) You get to pick your own colors and options.
3) You get to pay the Tesla Motors price without the premium that the Roadster owners are trying to collect.

I don't think that market condition are right for a current Roadster owner to collect a huge premium on a pre-owned Tesla Roadster.

That could change if Tesla goes bankrupt. Then we have another situation similar to the RAV4 EV market premium of the past few years. A few hundred Roadsters will exist in private hands and no more are coming.

If Tesla Motors were to go bankrupt, it would be years before any auto manufacturer trys a car equivalent to a Tesla Roadster.

Last edited:
So the bigger question is how much will falling prices on Ebay drive down the TM asking prices ....

I don't believe Ebay will have long term impact on Tesla values...Exotic and Luxury car markets are depressed and values are dropping daily. Lambos, Ferraris , Astons are all buying opportunities right now. True collectors and enthusiasts will invest in cars [ today] knowing it may take years to see any appreciation [ if] at all. Additionally, many people can [ now ] step up into these markets that were considered “ out of reach ” prior to now. I don’t see Ebay as a long standing factor re: Tesla value The key factors effecting Tesla resale [imho] are several:
1. Most car buyers [ not enthusiasts] would never consider buying a new car without a dealer/ service network within driving distance of their homes. Especially a car that is based on leading edge technology unfamiliar to most.
2. The car is a seasonal car (outside sun states areas) which makes this more of a weekender or summer car if one lives in winter areas. At $125K + many would be buyers have cut back on these “ toys”.
3. Impractical as replacement vehicle..I don’t think most people will see this as a daily driver & the buyers that can afford second or third cars are fewer in numbers today than a year ago .
4. The future of Tesla ( and other car companies) remains uncertain.
That being said, buyers for previously owned Teslas are most probably those with deposits in place ..which is a limited market. Once Tesla dealerships open in numbers , the cars are proven reliable ( miles driven ) and speculators realize there is not a killing to be made on the Roadsters ..the value of Tesla Roadsters will stabilize in the MSRP region. Dealers that invested in or took Roadsters in trade that need to turn their dollars are going to be the most detrimental to the market right now as evidenced by the dealer selling the Radiant Red on Ebay. He is currently negotiating against himself …very impatient !
I bought My Tesla because I love cars.( not to flip) all different types and wanted to experience an electric vehicle. I typically drive cars for 6 months to a year and sell them to make room for something else that interests me at the time. In the past 2 years I have sold my 05 Ford GT , BMW M6 , Lotus Elise , E55 , Sunbeam Tiger ..and secured my Roadster, R8,B7 and building a Rossion.
I thoroughly enjoy the Roadster..it is well constructed and fun to drive. The Arctic White with Red/Black is stunning and unique...draws attention whenever driven. However, with the market being what it is..several other cars have peaked my interest and the Roadster is the next to go…
The most significant advantage to buying a mint resale is the extended warranty ( 4 yrs /50K miles) and immediate availability….Pls EMAIL or PM if you or a friend are interested.. My car is posted as Arctic White over Red/Blk Available Now…video of car and several pics are posted as well..By the way, the folks at Rossion did the video as a favor to me & assumed the video was going to be for Ebay listng..this car is not listed for sale anywhere other than this site and the Rossion database..

Reactions: AtAge19
Other factors that will or may affect current and future used Roadster prices.

Warranty. The 2009 Roadster has an extra year.

Tesla will again raise the price of the car. Before the car even delivered they went from $93K to $98 to $109K. Surely there are more increases ahead.

The rebates come and go. Once the "Go EV" ball is rolling or the allocated funds deplete
one incentive to buy new is gone.

Some day in the far far future early Teslas will become collectors cars.

Tesla Motors should soon be able to buy back cars and sell the cars keeping the value up. There are examples of this thoughout history.