Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2010 Cool new features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DrComputer

TeslaClubLA President
Jan 29, 2009
Sherman Oaks, CA
Although my car has still not been delivered, I did have a conversation with Ted at corporate about some of the cool new features that are in the 2010. The one that I think is very interesting is that the cars will now have Wireless cards built into them (paid for by Tesla). This will allow TMC to download firmware remotely, gather statistics, unlock doors, know the cars exact location, etc. In the future they plan on adding a link to the owners site where you can interact with your car in real time. This also allows for iPhone/Blackberry apps to be written to interact with the car.

There are some liability issues that TMC is still trying to address. Ted did say that owners will have to sign a form acknowledging the wireless access and will have the ability to turn it off themselves or only have it turned on for a specific period of time.

I think they could go one step further and install an 802.11 g/n router to use the wireless card and the Roadster could now be a wireless hot-spot.

He said they also fixed the Valet mode so it will not go above 50mph. As stated before, the new PEM has an additional fan, and the A/C unit can now turn on it's cooling fans at variable speeds.

When I find out more, I'll let you know. Hopefully I'll have my car in a few days :smile:

As a peeve: TMC = Tesla Motors Club, I think you mean TM (Tesla Motors).

Sounds good though, and it looks like my concerns posted over in the other thread were valid since they are requiring you to sign a waiver.

Oh, and two other cool new features I forgot to mention were the locking glove box will automatically lock when you lock the car so you can keep valuables there when you leave to top off without having to manually lock it with the key.

The other one, and a really cool one, it the ability to switch modes with the key. If you are in range mode or standard mode and someone pulls up beside you and you want to smoke them, all you have to do is turn the key like you are starting the car and it will switch into performance mode. Once you smoke the kid that wanted to race, you can turn the key again and it will go back to standard mode. It only toggles between performance and standard modes so you can't get back to range mode with the key.

The other one, and a really cool one, it the ability to switch modes with the key. If you are in range mode or standard mode and someone pulls up beside you and you want to smoke them, all you have to do is turn the key like you are starting the car and it will switch into performance mode. Once you smoke the kid that wanted to race, you can turn the key again and it will go back to standard mode. It only toggles between performance and standard modes so you can't get back to range mode with the key.

Glad to see this one, although I'm sure it will come with the usual caveat about excessive use and calender life. But it is an improvement on only being able to switch modes at charging time via the VDS and by opening and closing the charge port cover.

The wireless connection could allow for smart charging in the future when the number of electric vehicles represents a significant grid load. This was tested in an early experiment:

Tesla has taken initial steps to explore charging-only V2G in partnership with Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E news release here). In a project completed in December, 2007, Tesla and PG&E developed a battery charging power profile derived from actual Cal ISO ancillary service dispatch data and set up a wireless connection to Tesla Roadster VP10 to enable remote control of the power drawn by the Roadster’s onboard charger.

Tesla Motors - Engineering