Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2010 Tesla Roadster Fan Running

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I have had a 2010 Roadster Sport for going on three days and have a few questions, I'm hoping you can help, thanks in advance.
I drove the car home 400 miles had no issues, when I got the car home I notice the fan runs constantly when the car is in my garage (not plugged in)?

I don't live near a Tesla service center, are there local repair shops that can service my vehicle?

Are there any Tesla apps for this vehicle?

Easy upgrades available other than the 3.0?

I have a Solaredge HD Wave Inverter with the charger built in but the charger reads ground fault during the charge connection, any ideas?

Which fan? Are you sure it is not the battery coolant pump rather than a fan? You can see when the coolant pump is running by observing the stream of coolant flowing through the overflow reservoir that sits on a corner of the battery box. It is normal for the car to run the coolant pump when the battery is full and the temperature is high even though the "ignition" switch is off.

There are many variations in the behavior of charging equipment. The 2.x cars do cause ground fault failures with some EVSEs, including the one manufactured by Tesla for the early Roadsters. Mine works fine with my 1.5, but has failed to charge some 2.x cars. So you may not be able to use the one you have.

I don't live near a Tesla service center, are there local repair shops that can service my vehicle?
Depends on where you live. There are a few independent repair facilities/personnel in the US, including us at Gruber Motors in Phoenix, AZ, that specialize with Roadsters. As slcanser mentioned, it's normal for the fans/coolant to run after turning off the vehicle as they work to keep the battery cool. Especially after a 400 mile drive!

Are there any Tesla apps for this vehicle?
There's the OVMS, Open Vehicle Monitoring System, which you can find more information about in this thread.

Also, congratulations on your recent purchase! Remember to keep the Roadster plugged in to your charger and to check the charge level often. More so during Winter when you're less likely to drive it.

The noise is coming from the back of the car about with the inverter nameplate, can't tell if it is the pump or not but it has been on for a day straight without the car charging.
How warm is the area? It's very likely just the circulation pump, and it's on because the battery is warm (over 30c or so); quite normal, if so.

Unfortunately, that prevents the car from going to sleep, and so it will be using more of the battery, just sitting there. It would be a good idea to get the car to a charger (240v preferably), or just plug it in wherever you can. You don't want to let the battery get too low.

How warm is the area? It's very likely just the circulation pump, and it's on because the battery is warm (over 30c or so); quite normal, if so.

Unfortunately, that prevents the car from going to sleep, and so it will be using more of the battery, just sitting there. It would be a good idea to get the car to a charger (240v preferably), or just plug it in wherever you can. You don't want to let the battery get too low.

I've found that charging cools the battery down enough to stop the circ-pump. I live in 95+ summer weather (Utah). Without the charging cooling, the roadster circ-pump runs like my hot-tub circ-pump = always on :)

Reactions: dhrivnak
I've found that charging cools the battery down enough to stop the circ-pump. I live in 95+ summer weather (Utah). Without the charging cooling, the roadster circ-pump runs like my hot-tub circ-pump = always on :)
Yep, exactly. That's why I'm hoping the OP can get the car over to a charger of some kind. Besides protecting the battery, it will also confirm what is happening with the car.

Reactions: dhrivnak