Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012-2013 Model S vs PHEV alternatives -- looking for an advice

What should I get?

• 2017 Chevy Volt for $15k

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • 2018 Honda Clarity for $20k

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • 2013-ish Model S for $20k

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all, I'm new to the forum, but huge kudos to forum owners/moderators, very clean-looking forum, ability to quickly login with FB/Twitter/Google accounts is amazing.

I have about $20k to spend and according to ev-cpo, there were a few Teslas which sold for about $21k, I'm hopeful I'll be able to find a 2012-2014 Model S for about $20k (willing to have it delivered or fly and drive it home from anywhere in US) if not CPO, then clear title private sale.

I originally started thinking about the 2017 Chevy Volt (top of the line, loaded can be had for about $15k-$16k), but also looked at other PHEVs and the good choice for me would be the 2018 Honda Clarity (ignoring other alternatives because of the compromised cargo space and/or the looks and/or the reliability issues with their PHEVs). The 2018 Clarity will probably be a few grand below Tesla, but still close to $20k in their top of the line trim.

I've read the forum and seen suggestions to stay away from MS older than 2015, but I'm still (perhaps naively) thinking that $20k Model S would be a better purchase than $20k Honda Clarity in terms of cost of ownership for the next 5 years, so I'd welcome feedback, especially from people who bought 2012-2014 models used.

95% (if not 99%) of my trips are within 25 miles return, so even a PHEV would dramatically cut down on my gasoline use (which, unlike electricity, is pretty expensive where I live). My apartment complex already has 2 chargers installed and planning on adding another one and we have an assortment of EVs/PHEVs already. I've only seen both slots occupied once over the last year, so I know I'll be able to plug in. With the PHEV I might actually be able to plug it into the nearest 110 outlet in the parkade as I already have permission to charge an electric motorcycle this way.

Opinions? Should I get Volt/Clarity and get a used Model Y in 3-5 years? Or do you think the older Model S would serve me better for 5 years and its depreciation will be lower than Clarity's?

Reactions: EV-CPO
It's a hard choice. I would lean towards a used S but mostly because I want to send a message to the car industry that BEV is what I want. In theory, EV should be less affected by high mileage and be simpler car than ICE cars and even more Hybrids who gets the complexity of both ICE and battery. Having said that Tesla is a new manufacturer and quality isn't their strong suit.

Here is another wild idea: Buy a 24kwh Nissan Leaf and use it for your commute then rent a car when you need longer trips. I bought a Leaf for $7500 and it gives me 70+ miles in the summer and always more than 50 in the winter. It's a great commuter and around town car but cannot go for road trips. It's now our second car and I still love to drive it (a little go-cart). Some videos on youtube even suggest you can buy a Leaf and keep your current car and still save money as it's so cheap to run. The Leaf is cheap as Nissan flooded the market with leases. It has some issues (no battery temperature control) to be aware of but I don't think Vancouver gets that warm for extended periods.

Buy the used Volt Premium or some other used car. (And I say this despite having a 2013 Volt with an electric heating problem that won't get fixed).
Save the money now, enjoy the electric driving and in a few years time you will have a much better range of choices for BEVs.

I would suggest going for the Volt or Leaf. Realistically, the only Tesla you'll find for $20k is a salvaged car or a very early 100k miles car with a small battery (60kwh) that can't supercharge.

Definitely get into the BEV market, but wait a few more years for good solid Model Ss to enter the lower end market price.

Good luck!

The answer to your question is in my signature. I had a 2013 Model S, sold it when the CPO warranty ran out and bought a Volt. I loved the car and driving an EV, but I have no appetite for expansive repairs. An old, cheap Model S is likely to end up costing you a bundle in repairs.

Go for the Volt. As someone who had a Model S for 5 years including out of warranty for a year, unless you are willing to buy a 2013 used Mercedes or BMW and pay for the repairs on that you should not buy a Model S either. Strangely the Volt is one of GM's more reliable cars so it will cost less to own in the long run. The Model S is a money pit as it ages, just like the other premium brands.

OK guys. How about long range travel? A 2013 MS is a huge advantage in that department, try Level 3 charging a Volt anywhere outside a busy coastal area and you will discover the ugly truth, worn unsafe cables, unpredictable power delivery, some at Level 2 amperage. Just searching for chargers is a chore for any trip.

Get an MS, look into third party warranties, make sure they include battery pack (12k), drive units (2-3K), MCU (3k), and drivetrain.

OK guys. How about long range travel? A 2013 MS is a huge advantage in that department, try Level 3 charging a Volt anywhere outside a busy coastal area and you will discover the ugly truth, worn unsafe cables, unpredictable power delivery, some at Level 2 amperage. Just searching for chargers is a chore for any trip.

Get an MS, look into third party warranties, make sure they include battery pack (12k), drive units (2-3K), MCU (3k), and drivetrain.
You can’t level 3 charge a Volt. Anywhere. And you are glossing over superchargers that have problems too. The closest supercharger to where I live has had one stall out of commission for months now and I’ve seen other stalls out at other places as well, I just don’t supercharge often.

The good thing about a Volt is that it has its own built in “supercharger” that converts gasoline into electricity. It is a breeze to travel with a Volt. For your daily travels you will be all electric (ok, with the exception of when it gets cold where you set whether the engine kicks on to help with heating at 32 or 15 degrees F) when you need to travel further, you have a nice, fuel efficient engine at 42 MPG.

The Volt is a great gateway to a BEV, drive electric and you don’t even have the possibility of range anxiety. I had two gen 1 Volts before my Model S and my wife currently has a 2017 Volt, so I do speak from experience. And if you can get a loaded Volt for 15 or 16k, that is a steal. I can get that in a trade in with my wife’s Volt, yes, I’ve been contemplating it.

I vote : 2017 Chevy Volt for $15k
o.png

Thanks for all the replies, they've been quite sobering. :)

I have considered the cheaper limited range EV-only car and between $5k-$7k you can get a selection of Leafs, electric smart card and Fiat e500, however first gen volts can also sometimes be had in this price range and it provides peace of mind on longer trips. If I were shopping for a limited range EV, I would also consider paying a bit more for MB B-clasd e250 tho.

Also, why no love for Clarity? Is it because its limited distribution?

My daughter bought a Clarity Touring PHEV two years ago and loves it.
My Volt got totalled last summer and I wasn't able to find a Clarity in the color and trim that I wanted at the time so I'm driving a 2017 LEAF that I picked up for less than $13k for now. I've ordered a Clarity but don't even have a build date for that yet.

I think this argument is similar to getting a new economical car vs a used luxury car. Getting a new Civic for $24k gets you warranty, good gas mileage, updated tech and reliable car. Operating costs would be low. Or you can get a 2015 Maserati Quattraporte w/ 40k miles for $24k too. Maserati would have less warranty, expensive maintenance and less reliable. A old used 20k S will probably have been in an accident to get to that price point. Out of warranty would mean possible expensive drive unit failure, battery degradation, increased tire wear because it's a performance car along with other unexpected costs.