Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used Tesla model s 85 advice needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I would buy my first car and I was looking to buy a Tesla and I found one with a good price I think. It’s a Tesla model s 85 2014 with about 250k miles on it. At 190k the battery and the drive unit was replaced and the support arm was replaced. It has free supercharge

Price is 17.000 euro / 18500 dollars.

Is it a Good deal?

Hi, I would buy my first car and I was looking to buy a Tesla and I found one with a good price I think. It’s a Tesla model s 85 2014 with about 250k miles on it. At 190k the battery and the drive unit was replaced and the support arm was replaced. It has free supercharge

Price is 17.000 euro / 18500 dollars.

Is it a Good deal?
A main battery replacement might cost more than the price of that used car.

Upvote 0
But the battery was replaced 4 years / 63k ago. Is the risk still high that it fails after a few months?
It was probably replaced under warranty with a refurbished battery, not a new one. And yeah, it could absolutely fail again at pretty much any time.

Honestly, this isn't a great candidate for a first car. Big risk. 2012-2014 Model S had some pretty serious early issues that can make it a very expensive car to own these days.

If a sudden 15,000+ Euro repair bill is going to be a financial hardship for you, I'd look at something else.

Upvote 0
I'm a new Tesla owner myself having bought a 2014 MS 60 last October. My issues were mainly due to the lack of SuperCharging and the cost to enable it, see my posts if curious. You don't have that issue. My MS60 only had 40K miles but it was out of warranty due to it age.

I ended up getting a CarShield EV service contract as an insurance policy, being concerned about the cost of a battery pack replacement or other high cost repairs on this unique vehicle. It costs me $90 a month which gives me peace of mind.

I would suggest looking into a 3rd party service contract if you still want to move forward with the car. It may turn out to be a great car, but just in case you will have some coverage.

Upvote 0
At 190k the battery and the drive unit was replaced
Time and waranty is more important than miles when it comes to batteries. New batteries and drives are waranted for eight years. I plan on selling my MS at five years of age regardless of miles. I figure at that time, it will have three more good years for the next owner. The price you quoted seems good ... but more important is how much longer is the battery and waranty good for. It can cost $20,000 to replace a battery.

Upvote 0