Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S 85....12V battery type? Cost of replacement by Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Service supplied the correct one for me 12 months ago.

OP did not say, but if the car is single motor, might be a good idea to let Mobile install it, and pay Tesla for the work.

Yep. It is in very difficult hard to reach location. What's more, there's a fuse box that is bolted directly to the positive terminal. This means that you must use exactly correct type battery. If the terminals are even slightly different location, the fuse box won't fit. And there is not much room to use any "spacer" to relocate the terminal.

• Informative
Reactions: Zarwin
I had Tesla replace the 12V battery in our 2013 Model S P85 at 74400 miles in June 2022 for $256.33, including $74 labor. Now 21 months later I see the 12V service light on again. Tesla confirmed that the warranty on the previous replacement was only 12 months / 13500 miles. That's actually quite a poor warranty on a battery of this cost. Tesla has quoted $308.83 for a new battery now. Rather expensive ongoing maintenance that we should factor into electric car total cost of ownership. This time I will be looking to source my own battery and do the installation. Previous owner had no recollection of battery replacement history between 2013 and 2020 when we bought the car. So the original was quite a dependable battery. But we have experience with a 2018 Model 3, that needed a new 12V battery at 40,500 miles, about 3.3 years after new car purchase. Are we seeing Tesla's ongoing cost reductions are affecting product quality?

I had Tesla replace the 12V battery in our 2013 Model S P85 at 74400 miles in June 2022 for $256.33, including $74 labor. Now 21 months later I see the 12V service light on again. Tesla confirmed that the warranty on the previous replacement was only 12 months / 13500 miles. That's actually quite a poor warranty on a battery of this cost. Tesla has quoted $308.83 for a new battery now. Rather expensive ongoing maintenance that we should factor into electric car total cost of ownership. This time I will be looking to source my own battery and do the installation. Previous owner had no recollection of battery replacement history between 2013 and 2020 when we bought the car. So the original was quite a dependable battery. But we have experience with a 2018 Model 3, that needed a new 12V battery at 40,500 miles, about 3.3 years after new car purchase. Are we seeing Tesla's ongoing cost reductions are affecting product quality?
Hard to say. Some suspect the OEM manufacturer of the 12V battery to have less than acceptable levels of product quality, but there seems to be evidence that Tesla's software scheme of the 12V electrical system and recharging stresses the 12V battery to wear prematurely. Some folks here have alluded to the 12V battery being overcharged by the DC-DC converter which I assume is the HV battery converting to recharge the 12V battery.

This is not an EV issue but a Tesla issue. My 2013 Fiat 500e is 11 years old with 92K miles on it and still reads 13.4V from the original Mopar 12V battery. The Fiat still has the 3G modem in the car, but its function has stopped long ago with FCA only supporting uConnect for 36months after the point of initiation.

Reactions: hydro