Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S LDU Repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see many posts around the out of warranty claims people are having with their 2013 Model S LDU. My car is in the shop right now and Tesla has sent me the repair bill. I am ready to move forward and wanted to see if people have any recommendations on other options. I know there are not many options at this point. I am in the Bay Area California if there are any shops that are interested in the rebuild.

2014 P60, 105,000 miles original LDU. Warranty expired 01 FEB 2023. I got two cautions last week: power is reduced, the vehicle may not restart, no noise or other issues. Tesla says it needs a new DU. $9,856.01. I asked if it could be covered as the condition must have existed on FEB 1 if it's due to wear. So far, they have not budged; the warranty expired three weeks before the notifications. Has anyone received any coverage just after expiration? Thanks!

I would be very tempted in your situation to let them fix it and then trade it in to them. The $5000 deal they are offering will help if you don't rely on supercharging.
Thank you for the thought, NewbyMaybe. I wanted to keep this car as it is a perfect work car for me, and the lifetime supper charging is fantastic. However, after the repair, I was told the new LDU only has a 1-year warranty. I will try and verify that, but I would not have spent that kind of money on a part with a one-year warranty. I read in another post that the DUs get a new warranty. Also, I don't know if it's a rebuilt, new or improved version. Does anyone have a better understanding?